6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2011 2:15 AM by nickterry

Options For Updating Changes to LANDesk Antivirus Settings

Rookie

I am going to be making some changes to the LANDesk Antivirus settings (lowering the CPU usage and changing the schedule) and want to know what are the various options for applying these changes to all the existing machines running the agent with the LANDesk Antivirus component. I gather that if you run the vulnerability scanner (also know as a Security Scan) this will update the settings although this isn't currently an option as regular Security Scans haven't been properly implemented into my environment yet. The other way is to create a 'Change settings' scheduled task. Are there any other ways of updating the settings? Any further useful information on the various methods (pros and cons, for example) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Options For Updating Changes to LANDesk Antivirus Settings
          rmeyer SupportEmployee

You can use the "Change Settings" task available in the Security Configurations window on the "Create a task" drop-down list to schedule a task to update the settings on all of the clients.

• 2. Re: Options For Updating Changes to LANDesk Antivirus Settings
            Rookie

Following further research I have gathered a list of the various options for getting the new settings onto the clients:

• Wait until the next scheduled virus definition update. When the clients attempt to update the definitions they will also pull down any configuration changes.
            • In ‘Security configurations’ click the drop down on the scheduled tasks button and choose ‘Change settings’. In the dialogue box tick ‘Create a policy’ and for ‘LANDesk Antivirus’ change ‘Keep agent’s current settings’ to the appropriate configuration. Go to the scheduled tasks section and get ‘Properties’. Configure the settings as required and drop machines onto the task.
            • In the same drop down menu described above choose ‘Create LANDesk Antivirus task’. Creating a policy or scheduled task to update the virus definitions should also update the clients with the new settings.
            • Run the command '”C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ldclient\antivirus\ldav.exe" /update' directly on a client.
            • When the vulnerability scanner runs either manually or on a schedule it will update the settings.

The first method seems to be the best as little action is required and you don't have to worry about targeting the relevant machines.

• 3. Re: Options For Updating Changes to LANDesk Antivirus Settings
              LANDave SupportEmployee

There is no need to select a specific setting in the Change Settings task if it still using the same Antivirus Setting as it was previously.

Pushing a Change Settings task with "Keep agent's current settings" will also force it to redownload the latest version of that setting.

In addition, you can also run "Vulscan /changesettings" from the run line on any client to force the update immediately if you are sitting at it.   (add "/showui" for a GUI window showing progress)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Options For Updating Changes to LANDesk Antivirus Settings
                Rookie

Thanks for the response. When I was speaking to LANDesk technical support the guy wasn't sure whether you had to specify the antivirus settings even if the settings profile wasn't changing so I left that bit in just in case.

I'll add the running of the Vulnerability Scanner from the command line to my list.

• 5. Re: Options For Updating Changes to LANDesk Antivirus Settings
                  LANDave SupportEmployee

By the way, you have gathered some great information here and formatted it well for our customers.  We appreciate the participation in our forums by customer like you.