2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2011 1:50 PM by mtb2781

Printer Package Deployment Issue

mtb2781 Rookie

Hello Everyone,

On our campus, our management purchased a number of Xerox ColorQube 9203 copiers that they wish to be setup with printing capabilities to departmental users. We have successfully used LANDesk for pushing out Printer Driver packages to install things like HP LaserJet printers as well as other copiers, all with default options set and no changes.

For the colorqubes, the vendor and our network manager wanted specific changes put in place including SNMP name changes and other preferences included in a .cfg file that is pulled down as part of the install.   I can get my batch script to install the driver manually so I know the process/script works. However, when I try it within LANDesk, whether as a PUSH or through the Desktop Manager as a policy available to people, it seems to fail out on the "rundll32..." printer addition line (see my attached script). Is there anything different about how LANDesk's processes might be excecuting this script versus my executing it manually that could be causing it to fail and not install the printer?  Any insight would be most appreciated!

Thank you!

-Matt

SUNY Oswego

• 1. Re: Printer Package Deployment Issue
          Rookie

just some troubleshooting steps I usually take:

Check the directory the files get copied to to make sure they are all there (C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\packages)

Additionally, try running the cmd file from that location to make sure all the files are being successfully copied to the target machine.

-George

Tufts University

• 2. Re: Printer Package Deployment Issue
            mtb2781 Rookie

Hi George, thanks for the reply.  Yes, I definitely have confirmed both things you mentioned. It's very odd, but it's got to be something about how LANDesk's "sdistbat.exe" runs batch/cmd files versus me attempting to run it manually. When I run it manually, I have no problem. When I have LANDesk run it, I usually get a hanging process on the following line:

"rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "Lanigan Xerox ColorQube 9203" /f "XQDriver\x2WJ50P.inf" /r "lanigan-ptr-020787.oswego.edu" /m "Xerox ColorQube 9203 PS" /q /z /u"

Something about running that command doesn't seem to fly very well. I've tested changing the various switches I have at the end just to make sure but they don't seem to affect anything.