3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2008 6:47 AM by jbattam

8.8 PXE Rep Deployment Continually Fails

Binskin Apprentice

Ive been trying for a few days now on various systems to get pxe reps setup, so far with both 2003 severs / XP SP2 machines i have been unable to complete one successfully. Both machines do not have firewalls installed, i have looked at the security popup issue and do not see it to be a problem, i can also get to the file://core/ldlogon page from the clients. Both clients have the software distribution option checked in the client options when they were rolled out, is their a way to confirm this succeeded when the agent was installed?

With the failed devices i can not see any logs, however by monitoring the Task Status log i can see the following:

"MYCLIENT","OK",-1918091262,0:00:17,15/02/2008 4:51:12 PM,15/02/2008 4:51:29 PM,"<qt/>C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdclient.exe<qt/> /p="http://COREIP/landesk/files/osdrep.msi" /msi /N /An /Ac /g="{F238CE99-6614-4072-9D20-1D2FA7ED951A}""

"MYCLIENT","OK",0,0:05:12,15/02/2008 4:51:29 PM,15/02/2008 4:56:41 PM,"<qt/>C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\LDISCN32.EXE<qt/> /NTT=COREIP:5007 /S="" /F /SYNC /NOUI"

; "Job Complete","0 Done","2 Failed","0 Off","0 Unknown"

Im just not sure where else to start looking and would really like to get into the OS imaging / deployment for our operations asap.

• 1. Re: 8.8 PXE Rep Deployment Continually Fails

Check to see if the paths and files referenced in the script do exist and can be accessed from the client machine.

If you just want to get a PXE rep up and running, you can do it without sdclient and without a scheduled task on your core. It's a manual process, but it does work. Here's what you need to do:

1) Open add/remove programs (on the machine that will be the PXE rep) and look for the LANDesk PXE Proxy program. If it's there, uninstall it.

2) Remove the %ProgramFiles%\LANDesk\PXE directory on that machine if it exists.

3) Crack open the PXE Representative Deployment script and make note of all the files that are copied down to the PXE rep.

4) Copy each of those files manually to the %ProgramFiles%\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache directory on the machine that will be the PXE rep.

5) From the target machine, manually launch the osdrep.msi file on the core (should be in

This should lay down the PXE rep successfully and you'll be on your way.

• 2. Re: 8.8 PXE Rep Deployment Continually Fails
            Binskin Apprentice

Fantastic, thanks for your help, i copied all the files and ran the installer and it seems to have worked perfectly, or atleast i can now see it in add/remove programs.

Is their a quick way to confirm it has installed correctly and is operational?

• 3. Re: 8.8 PXE Rep Deployment Continually Fails

This also worked for me, a manual work around. However obviously this shouldn't be happening. I'm sure i should be able to deploy the PXE representative via a scheduled task. Is there a way to fix it so this works via scheduling? I'll have to have a real good look at the PXE representative deployment script i guess.

I tried updating to 8.8 SP1 as a hopeful fix, but to no suprise this didn't fix the PXE representative deployment....Manual work around as IronMike has posted still works.

Oh and another hint make sure you dont have other network management tools running on your PXE representative server. "Someone" (yes i know who) installed HP Procurve Management software on our PXE Rep server and yeah it made alot of wondered TFTP errors occur.