6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2011 5:58 AM by Carl.Simpson

Change Approval Question

Expert

Previously I used the standard "Approve" Action Instance box for approvals in my process.  The user had to change their group to an approver group, open the change, hit approve, and then they had the option to add a note.  This is nice but I got a bunch of complaints about having to change groups and then remembering to change back.

I needed several approver rolls so I can control who can approve and when as I have up to 3 levels of approvals and only the supervisor of the group that created the change can do the initial approval.

To fix this I changed from groups to roles.  Now the supervisors no longer have to change groups and remember to change back, they are thrilled.  I created my own actions for each group and it works awesome.  However, I lost the ability to enter a note when the change was approved or rejected.  They could add a note first and then approve or reject but they liked being prompted for a box to explain why they accepted or rejected the change.  I see in Window Manager there is an "Approvals" window that matches up with the "Approve" action item.  I don't have the ability to create a Window for my Action Item or I don't know how to do it.  Any suggestions on how to add a window that pops up when a superviser approves a change?

• 1. Re: Change Approval Question
          Apprentice

Carl,

Assuming you're using an action in the process, when you defined the action in the Object designer, to associate a window with the action go to window manager and find the business object you've used. If you're using the default approval then it will be called Approval. If you click or right click on it you should have the option for New Window. If you then create the window for it and make it default then it should appear whenever the action is used on the process. Anything past you won't have much luck with but going forward you should be fine. I would suggest you test this on a dev server first of course, but I have posted a screenshot below.

In business objects you should have an Approval Collection in the primary Change object under the Change Management module so you can use the action on the process, then create the window here as per the below:

Approval.JPG

Hope this helps,

Anthony Mitchell

The AA

• 2. Re: Change Approval Question
            Expert

I am not using the standard approval.  I made my own action item (about 20 of them) and it's my action items that I can't seem to relate to a window.  I want the action item I created to ideally use the Approve screen and business object.  I really don't want to create 20 new tables and then try to handle an approval or rejection e-mail.  I added a greatly simplified picture of my process.  For each approval and rejection I have about 10 more so that I have 10 tests for assignments, 10 approvals, and 10 rejections.  Ideally I want just 1 approval window storing all notes in 1 place.  I did not create my action items with "Allow Association With Window" set to true.  I created a test action item set to true but I don't see that anything has changed.  My next step will be an IISRESET to see if it shows up but I really doubt it.  I don't see how I can relate an action item I make to an existing business object like approve.

I guess what I really want to do is make 10 approval action items and 10 rejection action items off of the 2 business objects.

• 3. Re: Change Approval Question
              Apprentice

I tried to create a new action this morning and created a window for it and it appeared to be fine in the window manager for me. What version of LANDesk Service Desk are you using?

If I understand what you're trying to do it seems like you want to use your own actions to put data into one window/business object, so from

Services Approval          }

IT Approval                    }      Custom or Existing Approval Business Object

Director Approval           }

If that's the case, it might work if you create your actions with the same Attributes as your Approval object and make sure you have Association to Window on when you save the object. Go to the window manager, find the object under change and create a window for them and in your process add an automatic action from each of the different approval types you've created individual actions for to the Custom or Existing Approval Business Object and use the Copy Settings Rules to copy the data to the since approval you want. Your users will still see the actions they want, will be able to fill in their data but it will use the single action you've setup using the copy settings.

Alternatively if you don't already have it, you might consider upgrading to 7.4 which allows you to rename the same action and reuse in the same process so you could have a since "Approve Change Action" and rename it to Services Approval, IT Approval, Director Approval but it would always be the same action and therefore the same Object and Action. I haven't actually used 7.4 yet but that is what is in the New Features PDF for 7.4.

Again, please remember to try these in a development environment and if I've completely misunderstood what you're looking for then I apologise.

Many Thanks,

Anthony Mitchell

• 4. Re: Change Approval Question
                Apprentice

I found this thread as well, it's not exactly what you're looking for but it does discuss the association of actions to windows:

http://community.landesk.com/support/message/28186#28186

• 5. Re: Change Approval Question
                  Apprentice

I think I just figured out what you did Carl. Did you create the Actions in the process designer under the business objects tab as per the below?

Actions.JPG

If you did is that way I'm not aware of a way to associate a window with this type of Action as there would be no business object to design the window for. To create an action that has a window you need to create a new Business object without a behaviour under change. Link the object to change in a one-to-many relationship so you have a collection on the primary change business object, then right click your business object on change and you can select new action. If you then go to the window manager you can find the business object you created under Change and create a window for it. Remember when you create your business object that you will need to create attributes for your field and one of them will need to be an IsName attribute. Best find a copy of the designer document on this forum to help you out with it if you have difficulties.

Many Thanks,

Anthony Mitchell

PS: As always work on a dev system to do any testing and when you have it working transfer it over to live

• 6. Re: Change Approval Question
                    Expert

That's exactly where I did it.  A call to cust support came up with article 3712 thats shows how to do this.  However, I noticed a major flaw in my process and will have to go in a different direction.  I do thank you for your prompt response and great answers.