8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 8:48 AM by mrspike

Office 2007 and Office 2010 delivery

Rookie

Hi,

Q1

I have followed the landesk best practice to install office 2007.  The delivery method chosen seems to be download files from source then install.  This seems to take about 1 hours to complete the installation because it has to download about 700MB then run the install.  Would it not be better to run from source in the delivery method because it’s quicker?  Are there any disadvantages to this?

Q2

Also, the option in Distribution package – properties – additional files

When you add files here, are these the files that are downloaded (cached) to the client prior to install?

Q3

If my delivery method is set to run from source, then would I still need to add additional files stated in Q2?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Office 2007 and Office 2010 delivery
          mrspike SSMMVPGroup

I haven't done Office 2010 yet, so I will stay out of that in particular but answer the others the best I can... if you search for Office 2007 or 2010 you will find some other posts

Q1 - Advantages of the Download to cache

• Files will have to have completely downloaded before the installation begins, so if the network connection is lost, it can continue the installation if it began, if using Run from source and the installation starts and the network connection is lost, then you might get your old Office uninstalled and no new package installed or a broken install.
          • If network bandwidth is an issue, this can minimize traffic across your WAN / LAN, because other systems on the same subnet will share the download amongst themselves.

Disadvantages of Download to cache

• Can be slower

I would usually download to cache in a deployment to many or several machines, and Run From Source for one offs.

Q2 & Q3 Additional files

• Yes, if using download to cache these are the other files, you add all of them except the main installer file.  That is called for in the main section
          • To be honest, not sure if needed for "Run from Source", but I add them to all packages, and if I use a Run from Source delivery method it works fine.

I would always add them... yoru package will work using either delivery method this way

• 2. Re: Office 2007 and Office 2010 delivery
            Mark2063 Apprentice

We download and then install all our packages.  Even with fast wan links it seemed the most bullet proof way.  But with LANDesk doing a checksum on every file it was taking 90 minutes to download all the Office 2010 files.  We started zipping up the files and creating batch file distribution packages.  It now takes about 10-15 miunties to download and unzip the files. Here's the batch file we use for Office 2010.

7za x Office10_Core_4Oct10v2.7z -aoa
            7za x Office10_Updates_4Oct10v1.7z -aoa
            setup.exe
            If "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="3010" set ERRORLEVEL=0

7za is a command line zip utility.  We do it in two zip files so that we can add Office updates to the Updates file and just rezip it.  Currently we are on LD8.8sp4 so we are resetting the error level to 0 becuase when updating from previous versions of Office the 3010 need to reboot status is set.

In addtion to the batch file for this Distribution Package we include as addtional files, 7za.exe, Office10_Core_4Oct10v2.7z, and Office10_Updates_4Oct10v1.7z after the files are unziped the directory structure is the same as the root of the Office 2010 install cd with setup.exe in the default folder.

Over all if we have more than one or two files in the distribution package we zip them.  We've also done Adobe CS4 and CS5 which are thousands of files with this method and it has made it work able.

Hope this helps.

• 3. Re: Office 2007 and Office 2010 delivery
              Rookie

Thank you so much for your replies they have been very helpful!

The 7za command line zip utility that you are using seems like an excellent way to speed things up.  I can't wait to try this out.

We do have mulitple sites, using preferred servers. Have you tried this method accross multiple sites?

Regards

• 4. Re: Office 2007 and Office 2010 delivery
                Mark2063 Apprentice

We haven't yet tested out preferred servers.  Our primary focus current is migrating from Novell servers to Microsoft using LANDesk provisioning.  It is on our look at list once the migration is complete.

One other bit that may be helpful with Office 2010.  I found that to really suppress the reboot on upgrade in addition to the setting in the setup /admin config.  I had to also modify the confil.xml file, adding/modifying the <Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="NEVER" />

Here's our complete file:

<Configuration Product="ProPlus">

<!-- <Display Level="full" CompletionNotice="yes" SuppressModal="no" AcceptEula="no" /> -->

<!-- <Logging Type="standard" Path="%temp%" Template="Microsoft Office Professional Plus Setup(*).txt" /> -->

<!-- <USERNAME Value="Customer" /> -->

<!-- <COMPANYNAME Value="MyCompany" /> -->

<!-- <INSTALLLOCATION Value="%programfiles%\Microsoft Office" /> -->

<!-- <LIS CACHEACTION="CacheOnly" /> -->

<!-- <LIS SOURCELIST="\\server1\share\Office;\\server2\share\Office" /> -->

<!-- <DistributionPoint Location="\\server\share\Office" /> -->

<!-- <OptionState Id="OptionID" State="absent" Children="force" /> -->

<Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="NEVER" />

<!-- <Command Path="%windir%\system32\msiexec.exe" Args="/i \\server\share\my.msi" QuietArg="/q" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" /> -->

</Configuration>

• 5. Re: Office 2007 and Office 2010 delivery
                  Rookie

Hi,

How often is your sdmcache cleared?  Mine hasnt cleared yet and its been almost a week...  I thought it was 2days.  Also where would you change the setting for this?

Regards

• 6. Re: Office 2007 and Office 2010 delivery
                    mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Charlie,

Are you on LD9?

There is / was a bug in LD 9 where the cache was not clearing until 14 days, it was supposed to clear in 2 days on most systems, and 14 days on "Domain Reps" or whatever it is LANDesk is calling them, but it is doing in in 14 days on all, unless you install a patch.

14 days may not be a bad thing considering the size of today's hard drives, so some folks may not mind.

Also, the length can be changed by a LANDesk admin to a longer setting if desired.

• 7. Re: Office 2007 and Office 2010 delivery
                      Rookie

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I am on LD9 TVT SP2.

Where can this setting be found to change the duration?

Regards