14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2011 8:31 AM by jpatrickf

Need a document on capturing the windows xp image using PXE

Rookie

I am currently using Landesk 9.0 SP2 . Am trying to create windows XP image using PXE boot, but not able to get proper document for the same. It would be great if i can get a overview or steps to be followed to capture a image .

Thanks,

Chetan.T.V

• 1. Re: Need a document on capturing the windows xp image using PXE
          Apprentice

I don't know if there is a document for this, but the process is fairly straight forward:

1) In the LANDesk Managment Console, open Operating System Deployment, right-click on either My OSD Scripts or All OSD Scripts and select New Windows PE Configuration

2) In the Create Windows PE OS Deployment Script window, select Capture Image

3) Name your capture image script, provide credentials, and tell it what type of image to save it as along with the path for the capture (I prefer ImageX)

4) Open PXE Boot Menu and drag your new capture script into the menu and click the update button

5) Make sure your have a PXE Representative deployed and available on the subnet where your client machine is being captured

6) Build your Windows XP client, run sysprep, and reboot

7) While the client is booting, press the necessary key(s) to boot from LAN (Usually F12).  This will start the PXE boot process, you will be prompted to press F8 to display the initial PXE Boot Menu, select the WinPE option

8) Once Windows PE is started the Windows PE PXE Boot Menu will be displayed, select your capture script from the menu and click OK

9) LANDesk will run your capture script and capture the syspreped Windows XP installation to the path you supplied in the capture script

10) Once the capture is complete, the client will reboot.  You are all done!

• 2. Re: Need a document on capturing the windows xp image using PXE
            Rookie

Hi,

Thank you very much for the draft on the process.

Can you please explain the step 5.

You meant there as PXE representative deployed and available on subnet. does it mean the PXE boot menu script deployment ?

Where it need to be deployed and how?

Please explain...

Regards,

Chetan.T.V

• 3. Re: Need a document on capturing the windows xp image using PXE
              Apprentice

With PXE being a DHCP request, you have to have a client on each subnet that is configured to answer the broadcast message whenever another client attempts to boot from the network (Unless you are passing DHCP requests through the router).  This is why LANDesk uses PXE Representatives.  Deploying a PXE Representative installs the necessary software on a client machine for it to answer any DHCP PXE request on that subnet and push the boot image to the requester via TFTP.

To deploy a PXE Representative in LANDesk:

1) In the OS Deployment window, under the OSD Scripts group select the All Other OSD Scripts sub-group

2) You will see two scripts listed in the right panel "PXE Representative Deployment" and "PXE Representative Removal"

3) Right-click on PXE Representative Deployment and select Schedule

4) This will open the Scheduled Tasks window with new task called "PXE Representative Deployment" already selected

5) Add an existing computer that is on the same subnet as the client you are capturing to your new PXE Representative Deployment task

- NOTE: This can be your own computer as long as it is on the same subnet as the client you are capturing

6) Right-click the task and select Start Now (This will deploy the PXE Representative software to the selected computer)

7) Once the task completes, verify that your new PXE Representative shows up under Network View > Configuration > PXE Representatives

- NOTE: I also suggest testing a network boot once to make sure that the PXE Representative is properly responding to requests

Now that you have a PXE Representative you should be able to select the WinPE Menu option:

pxe.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Need a document on capturing the windows xp image using PXE
                Apprentice

Also, just an FYI, since you already have to install the WAIK on your LANDesk Core server, I went ahead and put the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010 on there too.

MDT 2010 is free and you can generate a lite-touch deployment that automates the entire Windows XP install, application deployment, update, sysprep, and cature process using a task sequence.  MDT 2010 will only capture using ImageX, but I prefer ImageX (WIM) format anyways because you can SiS several images into one file and update it as necessary to add more drivers.

Once you have the WIM captured, LANDesk can deploy these type of images quickly.  I can push a full "universal" Windows XP SP3 image with Office 2007 in about 15-20 minutes.  An image that includes all that plus the entire Adobe Creative Suite and Corel DRAW takes between 30 and 45 minutes.

• 6. Re: Need a document on capturing the windows xp image using PXE
                  Rookie

Am able to get WIN PE menu during network boot.

I have PXE deployed on WIN XP sp3 machine and am getting booted to WIN PE page. After that it fails at Waiting for IP and times Out saying . couldnot resolve core server name.

It says :

Disk 0 partition is used.

Also, when i click on new console and type the cmd ipconfig /renew it replies "Transmit failed"

But when it is not booted in PXE it loads the proper OS and gets the IP from DHCP.

i am testing this on VMware workstation.

Please suggest!!!

Regards,

Chetan.T.V

• 7. Re: Need a document on capturing the windows xp image using PXE
                    Apprentice

If you are testing on VMware workstation, you will need to have the VMware network drivers loaded into your Windows PE evironment.

You can import drivers into PE using the LANDesk Management Console:

drivers.png

Select the first option for the Default Windows PE image file.

Click the Add button and import the inf files for the VMware network drivers.  You can find them on the ISO file in your VMware program folder, usually "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation".  There you will find a file "Windows.iso" that you can mount using virtual CD software.  You can find the drivers in the "\program files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vmxnet\win2k" folder in the ISO.

After you have the drivers imported your PXE representative will need the updated "boot.wim" with the VMware drivers, so you can simply copy the new "boot.wim" from your core server (\\LDCORE\ldmain\landesk\vboot) to the boot folder on the PXE representative (C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\boot).  You could also just remove the PXE representative and re-deploy it, but that is a lot of extra work just to get the new "boot.wim" copied to the computer.

• 8. Re: Need a document on capturing the windows xp image using PXE
                      Rookie

Hi,

I was able to locate the vmware driver files and added it to winpe image file.

Client PC will load the boot.wim successfully but when it runs the command winpeint, displays the error that "vmware adpater driver file unable to load"

Then tried with new console and checked the path X:\InstalledDrivers\VMWare drivers\

i was able to locate vmscsi.inf.

Tried to run manually. But it gave me "Access Denied" message.

Am i ssupposed to copy this file some where locally? or please suggest

Regards,

Chetan.T.V

• 9. Re: Need a document on capturing the windows xp image using PXE
                        Apprentice

The driver you are looking for will be a "vmxnet.inf" file

You can import this driver through LANDesk as shown in my previous post, or you can use the Microsoft officially supported way and import the driver into the boot.wim file using the DISM command.  You can either do this on your core server where you have the WAIK already installed, or install the WAIK on your workstation and do it there.

1) Open a command prompt and navigate to %programfiles%\windows aik\tools\petools

2) Type copype.cmd x86 %systemdrive%\PE\winpe_x86

This will make a PE directory on your system drive where you can mount and edit the boot.wim file

3) Type copy "\\[Your LANDesk Core Server Name]\ldmain\landesk\vboot\boot.wim" "%systemdrive%\PE\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim"

This copies the boot.wim file from LANDesk to your PE directory

4) Type DISM /Mount-wim /WimFile:%systemdrive%\PE\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim /index:1 /MountDir:%systemdrive%\PE\winpe_x86\mount

This mounts the boot.wim file for editing

5) Type DISM /image:%systemdrive%\PE\winpe_x86\mount /Add-Driver /driver:[Path to the vmxnet.inf file]

This will import the driver into the mounted wim file

6) Type DISM.exe /unmount-Wim /MountDir:%systemdrive%\PE\winpe_x86\mount /Commit

This will commit the changes to the mounted wim file and unmount it.

7) Type copy "%systemdrive%\PE\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim" "\\[Your LANDesk Core Server Name]\ldmain\landesk\vboot\boot.wim"

This will copy the new boot.wim file back to the LANDesk share

Obviously, using the DISM tool takes some getting used to, but learning how to modify a wim file is a good idea, especially if you end up capturing your images as wim files (as you likely will be soon, considering Windows XP is comming to end-of-life).  Using these tools, you can modify your images offline without having to install them on a computer, making maintenance a lot quicker an easier.

More information on DISM:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744382%28WS.10%29.aspx

• 10. Re: Need a document on capturing the windows xp image using PXE
                          Apprentice

P.S. Unfortunately, even though you can capture Windows XP into a WIM file, you cannot import drivers into a Windows XP wim using the DISM command.  This is a limitation of Windows XP.  You are also still limited by the HAL in Windows XP.  You can, however, get fairly close to a "universal" Windows XP image if you build your image on a computer that uses the "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" HAL.  This HAL will automatically upgrade to the "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" HAL on a multi-processor computer and is supported by Microsoft.  Most computers now-a-days use at least the "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" HAL so you can be pretty safe with that.  Then you just have to have all the drivers for all your different systems available in the image to begin with and then sysprep the image so that it rescans for PnP devices during the mini-setup.

• 11. Re: Need a document on capturing the windows xp image using PXE
                            Rookie

Hi,

I did the changes as u mentioned and tried to ran the PXE boot but not able to get the IP address still.

Please find the screenshot attached where my screen is getting stuck .

Regards,

Chetan.T.V

• 12. Re: Need a document on capturing the windows xp image using PXE
                              Rookie

Hi Team,

Any updates for the latest error message post.

Regards,

Chetan.T.V

• 13. Re: Need a document on capturing the windows xp image using PXE
                                Apprentice

Looks like you are still missing the NIC drivers.  You aren't going to get the menu until you can contact the core server, which requires that you have a working network connection.

You are going to have to inject the two VMWare drivers into your PE image (boot.wim).  See my previous post on how to do that.

You are going to need to inject vmxnet.inf and vmware-nic.inf

• 14. Re: Need a document on capturing the windows xp image using PXE
                                  Apprentice

You might also want to try injecting the AMD PCnet Family network adapter, NDIS5 Driver:

http://the-d-spot.org/files/V4.51.zip