6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2008 9:52 AM by tarmour

8.8 Inventory confusion - Core reports different data

Rookie

Background: We have just installed 8.8 from scratch (failed upgrade due to database corruption, uninstall, reinstall) and elected to "Reset Database" from coredbutil. So, we were starting with a clean database.

Currently only two devices are on this server: the Core server itself and one test XP Pro workstation. The server inventory shows a section called "Security" with detailed information on the McAfee VirusScan Enterprise installation on that server (VirusScan version, engine version, dat date and version). The workstation, which has an identical installation of McAfee (down to the registry keys, which I verified individually), shows nothing on McAfee, and in fact doesn't have a "Security" section when viewed from the desktop console. This section (with no data in the fields) is visible from the web console, however.

Furthermore, I removed this device from the core and re-added and rescanned it (did not uninstall client). The inventory repopulated, but now not only is the Security section missing, but a previously present "Security and Patch Manager" section is gone. Full scans were forced in every case, and the ldappl file is downloading and expanding apparently correctly.

Am I missing something obvious, or is something very strange here? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: 8.8 Inventory confusion - Core reports different data
          Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Is the ldavhlpr.dll file the same version on both server and workstation?

• 2. Re: 8.8 Inventory confusion - Core reports different data
            Rookie

8.80.0.249 in both ldlogon and the workstation ldclient folder.

• 3. Re: 8.8 Inventory confusion - Core reports different data
              Apprentice

What if you do a /f /sync with the inventory scan and use the /o=file.txt then do it again with /o=file2.txt?  is file1.txt and file2.txt exactly the same?

That should at least tell you if it is sending the same information each time to the core.

syntax for the scan should be something like: ( you probably don't need the /NTT and /S)

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\LDISCN32.EXE" /NTT=coreserver.xxx.edu:5007 /S=coreserver.xxx.edu  /I=HTTP://coreserver.xxx.edu/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /V /f /sync /o=c:\file.txt

• 4. Re: 8.8 Inventory confusion - Core reports different data
                Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion. I compared two scans (Thank you, Beyond Compare 2 ) and the files, while not identical, had trivial differences in the order drivers were scanned. I also completely deleted the ldappl and cached files from the client before the scan so I was getting a new copy of the files and no delta scan was even possible.

I'm struggling to understand how two inventories from two machines (one server and one workstation) can report different data for identically configured software installations (McAfee VirusScan), and also why the inventories look different between the desktop and web consoles. The web console shows what appears to be the entire inventory tree, and the desktop console shows a truncated version. Is it that the desktop console only shows sections with data stored where the web console shows all fields? See attachment for what I'm talking about here

Thanks again for the help!

• 5. Re: 8.8 Inventory confusion - Core reports different data
                  Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Sounds like a bug to me.  Do you have a support contract?

Everything done with AV is handled by LDAVHLPR.DLL.  So it is not working on your workstation and since it appears to be a supported version of of AV, it should be working.  I would duplicate in a VMWare environment, send the VMWare to LANDesk support, and have them duplicate and submit a bug on it.

• 6. Re: 8.8 Inventory confusion - Core reports different data
                    Apprentice

I have noticed several differences in how the web inventory displays and the 32bit inventory displays.

It seems that the web inventory will display ALL possible fields and display a blank field if there is no data there while the 32 bit console inventory will not show the field if there is no data there.

Another oddity between web and 32 bit inventory is thing  that have multiple entries.  For example look at network>TCPIP>Bound Adapter on a machine with multiple NIC's vs one NIC on both the web and 32 bit and you will see the difference.

I will attach screen shots of examples.