4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2008 2:27 PM by zman

Policy supported push set to run on X date, not at next login?

Apprentice

I need to know if there's a way to set an install to run on a specified date/time (or after) no matter where the person happens to be.  It can be at login time, but needs to be a few days out. Such as send the files to the system(s) today or tomorrow (Thursday before end of day) set to execute on Monday (2/25) morning's login. There will be a small[ish] group of systems that need this to run on, not everyone (at least not yet). The total size of the files that need to be pushed to the targets is about 75MB, so it shouldn't take too long, or too much space on the drive, to send down. I just need to have the local scheduler set to execute at login on/after 2/25...

I have installed LDMS 8.8 on our core server. Most of the agents are still version 8.7. If I need to update them to 8.8 for this to work, I'll need to know right away so that I can get that done.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Policy supported push set to run on X date, not at next login?
          zman Master

Under Scheduled Task Properties | Select scheduled task | Select Start Later | Use Appropriate Date and Time.

• 2. Re: Policy supported push set to run on X date, not at next login?
            Apprentice

Isn't that to initiate the task to download and then run? It's been a while since I've tried using this method, so bear with me (or beer with me)... I need it to download all the installer files to the local drive before log off on Friday, set to launch the install Monday morning at login... If that's the correct method, great, I just need to confirm it all before I start deploying. I do plan on testing it on a VM or two, but it will help the process along to have confirmation...

• 3. Re: Policy supported push set to run on X date, not at next login?
              Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Using a prestaging method

That is why we have the ability to "Pre-stage" software.  But the problem is that files are only cached for 48 hours by default and so you would have to change that in the delivery method.

There are two ways to pre-stage software.

Create Scheduled Task #1

1. Use a Multicast-cache only task.

2. Create a batch file task pointing to a blank batch file and add all the files as additional files.

Either of those methods will cache the files.

Create Scheduled Task #2 to start monday morning as Zman recommended. If

There is a lot we don't know. 

Do you machines check for policies every time they login?

Will anyone login on saturday/sunday? 

Are the computers on Saturday/Sunday? If not, then you can start the 2nd task as early as Friday night and use a policy.

Single batch file task

You could also deploy as a batch file task.  But the problem is that without doing Multicast, you cannot change the 48 hour cache time, so you have to use multicast or change the registry key and restart the targetted multicast service on the clients before hand.

Create a batch file with a command like this.  (As an administrator run localsch.exe /? for more information on local scheduler commands.

REM My Batch File
              localsch.exe /exe="%programfiles%\LANDesk\LDClient\SDMCache\share\folder\someinstaller.exe" /cmd="/quiet /some /other /switches" /start="25 February 2008 05:00:00"

So now you will deploy the batch file, the additional files will be included.

• 4. Re: Policy supported push set to run on X date, not at next login?
                zman Master

So you want to pre-stage the installation file first then run the task at a specifc date - is that correct?  If so create a job that target multicasts the installation out  to the targets first (use a Multicast delivery Method). Then create a Policy Supported Push at the given date and time.