4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2011 2:42 PM by ejmcardle

The Notification Processing task failed with the following error message: The operation has timed out

Apprentice

I keep receiving this error and then experiencing timeout errors

The Notification Processing task failed with the following error message: The operation has timed out

I usually have to reset the TP Backround Services service to get things running again.

We receive numerous errors, but this one comes up multiple times every hour.

Any idea what would be causing this? I ran the bulk action to clear out the outbound queue yesterday (~90,000 items) and setup the schedule manager to do it nightly for outbound messages that are a week old from now on.

Anything else I should be looking at?

• 1. Re: The Notification Processing task failed with the following error message: The operation has timed out
          ITSMMVPGroup

There are a number of best practise housekeeping items that should be followed with LDSD as otherwise issues will start to build up.  Personally I'd be asking whoever did your install to put together a note for you as this would normally be part of most standard installs.

Other than the mail, if you are not on 7.4 you should also be running a database script to keep the soft deleted user sessions under control as this will be another source of timeouts, especially if the indexes to the tps_user_sessions table is not optimal.  With 7.4 this table is hard delete so shouldn't be an issue once cleaned up.  There are other scripts we tend to recommend running depending on the application (updating Timezones, putting people in groups and roles, tidying up soft delete users), but you'd really need the team who did the install to help with selecting any that might be needed.  They are a bit like patches, if you don't have the issue, don't deploy them!

Scan through the performance.pdf guide in the documentation folder for lots of other good tips.

If you are on Oracle, you might need your DBA to look at running Grid control/stats packs/OEM to tune up the DB itself.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: The Notification Processing task failed with the following error message: The operation has timed out
            Apprentice

Thanks for the response.

I'm getting with our DBA so we can fine tune the DB. We have over 2 million records in the tps_user_sessions table that we plan on clearing out. We were thinking of creating a stored procedure to run nightly on the table to clear these out. I assume it's safe to run the script to run the script against the DB nightly? Unless their is a specific best practice?

By what I've read, this table basically holds all the session data tracking who logged in, when, etc.

I am going to use the script that I found on the forum to clear the data .

I think the best plan may be to clear this out and not do the stored procedure since I'm planning on upgrading within the next month or so. I can clear it out one more time after the upgrade and after that since I'm on 7.4 it should clear this out automatically?

Thanks for the info. I figured the issue lied within the DB since there hasn't been any maintenance on it or anything ran to clear some of the junk out.

• 3. Re: The Notification Processing task failed with the following error message: The operation has timed out
              ITSMMVPGroup

The scripts here publish by LANDesk are safe to use and would nail the tps_user_sessions table.  Personally I'd add it as a stored procedure and ensure is run daily, just to keep things steady.  It's surprising how quickly that table builds up.  Even after a 7.4 upgrade, running it will do no harm.  if you have 2M records, I'd do the first clear down out of hours manually just to be sure and then run it out of hours via a script.  Fit and forget.

• 4. Re: The Notification Processing task failed with the following error message: The operation has timed out
                Apprentice

Excellent! Yeah, we plan to manually run it due to the size and then script it.

thanks for your help on this. I'm sure this will help with some of the performance issues we've been having.