7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2011 10:13 AM by peoples

Diskpart stops responding for 5-15 minutes

Apprentice

I have a strange problem.

Running an OSD job on HP 2540p, 8440p and similar models is not working very well.

During WinPE startup the startnet.cmd is running diskpart to verify that at least one disk is installed before starting.

Diskpart.exe will display "Microsoft DiskPart version 6.0.6001 Copyright (C) 1999-2007 Microsoft Corporation. On computer: MININT-#####"

Sometimes it will even type "DISKPART> select disk 0"

Two out of three times diskpart will then stop responding for 5-15 minutes before it suddenly continues as nothing has happened.

This goes for any diskpart commands run later as well making my OSD job taking a lot more time than it should.

We've tried to upgrade the BIOS and upgrade the mass storage driver in boot.wim.

Another interesting thing is that diskpart works perfect inside Windows 7, no delays there.

Anyone had the same problem and found a solution?

• 1. Re: Diskpart stops responding for 5-15 minutes
          Rookie

I also have this exact same problem, with several lenovo images and LDMS 9.0 SP2

• 2. Re: Diskpart stops responding for 5-15 minutes
            Apprentice

We worked around this issue by using a WinPE 3.0 image which uses a newer diskpart.exe (version 6.1.7600).

I tried to just copy the diskpart.exe to WinPE 2.0 but it didn't seem to work.

Here's some notes from the first time I created the image. Hope they are still correct.

* Download and install WAIK for Windows 7.
            * Start cmd in admin-mode

* Run commands:

%programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\PEtools> copype.cmd x86 c:\winpe_x86
            %programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools> copy c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim c:\winpe_x86\ISO\Sources\boot.wim
            %programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools> imagex /apply c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim 1 c:\winpe_x86\mount\

%programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\Servicing> dism /image:c:\winpe_x86\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"%programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\winpe-wmi.cab"

* Copy from WinPE 2.0 image:

x:\cba8, x:\ldclient, x:\temp, x:\windows\system32\startnet.cmd, x:\windows\system32\all.reg

%programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\x86> imagex /boot /compress max /capture c:\winpe_x86\mount c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim "WinPE3.0"

I hope LANDesk will move to WinPE 3.0 soon, cause using WinPE 2.0 based on Vista just dosn't make sense anymore...

• 3. Re: Diskpart stops responding for 5-15 minutes
              EMiranda Expert

Kristian Echholt wrote:

I hope LANDesk will move to WinPE 3.0 soon, cause using WinPE 2.0 based on Vista just dosn't make sense anymore...

Completely agree

• 4. Re: Diskpart stops responding for 5-15 minutes
                Apprentice

same problem here with lenovo notebooks. Followed your instructions to create winpe 3.0 and seems to work fine.

Two more files i've to copy

x:\windows\system32\oledlg.dll

x:\windows\system32\en-US\oledlg.dll.mui

otherwise i get missing dll error.

One question. Maybe you now what i have to copy to get the background image and more important to get the start button with "reboot" and "new command"?.

thanks.

kind regards.

alex

• 5. Re: Diskpart stops responding for 5-15 minutes
                  Apprentice

Hm, I've digged a bit deeper and found something else that I might have copied to the image at some point.

It's a folder called "Added to WinPE" and unfortunately I can't remember when or if it all got added.

My documentation makes no mention of it, so hopefully they are only "nice to have"

The three first are the once your asking for. Try adding these files into x:\windows\system32:

winpe.bmp          - background image (this could be change using the LANDesk console as well actually)

WINPESHL.INI     - used to start the peshell.exe file

PEShell.exe        - shell which gives the nice reboot/new command button

The others I'm really unsure about. I wouldn't add them unless you get some sort of error.

MFC71.DLL, msi.dll, MSVCP71.DLL, msvcr71.dll

Also, I seem to have edited the PATH variable in the registry.

I think startnet.cmd now includes full path to all files used, but might be a good idea to change it anyways.

This is done by loading the SYSTEM hive in x:\windows\system32\config. The registry key I changed was

HIVE\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Environment

PATH          REG_EXPAND_SZ

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SystemDrive%\cba8;%SystemDrive%\ldclient

So very very unsupported all together, but at least it works

• 6. Re: Diskpart stops responding for 5-15 minutes
                    Apprentice

thanks for your fast reply.

you experience some problem with HII with your winpe 3.0 ? My winpe 3.0 ist not able to download the driver files because of the error

"sdclient.exe - ssleay32.dll missing"  don't understand why, because the file is located in the cba8 directory wich i've copied completely to the winpe3.0.

i've now changed the registry path, and started a new attempt , maybe that solves the problem.

kind regards.

• 7. Re: Diskpart stops responding for 5-15 minutes
                      Apprentice

great ! Your registry hint solves the missing dll problem ! 

Thanks everything looks fine now with winpe30

kind regards.

alex