6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2011 1:45 AM by aparker

Ability to Add Attachment to Customer

Apprentice

Hi

I have a requirement to add attachments (documents) to customer groups, is this possible.

Obviously it is possible to add attachments to Incidents, Problems and Changes etc but I would like to put a file against the Customer record.

Could someone please advise if this is possible and if so, how?

Many Thanks in advance.

Ian

• 1. Re: Ability to Add Attachment to Customer
          aparker Employee

Hi Ian,

Can I ask a little more about that? Do you actually need the facility to add 'n' number of attachments, or just a specific set/one?

The Customer is actually a process in Service Desk, so there may be some scope here, it just depends on your usage.

Andy

• 2. Re: Ability to Add Attachment to Customer
            Apprentice

Hi Andy

Thanks for the quick response.

I am looking at adding (ideally) at least 1 attachment to a customer. The document in question will vary depending on each application, the files i am looking to attach are things such as

- Hand over to support documents

- JPEG files or company specific pictures.

I'd only be looking for administrators or team leaders to do it, but the ability to do it if not restrictable is really not a problem.

I'm probably not explaining it very well, but basically I want to add customer specific files when we bring on board new customers. Enabling Service Desk Analysts to see/open the files when viewing the customer tree.

Regards

Ian

• 3. Re: Ability to Add Attachment to Customer
              ITSMMVPGroup

Aha! As Andy allouded too as long as the customer you are talking about is a customer group, then I think there is a way.  Create a new action to hold attachments in the system area and add this as a process action to the group/customer obejct.  Then add the action to the system/customer process and you'd be able to add attachments as (say) an optional action to that process.  Add a tab for the customer group window to show attachments

Put the customer group on the incident widnow and hyperlink off the label to allow you to open the customer group.  This should then display the process tree for the group along with attachments or show these on the window as a tab.  You should be able to add attachments from the customer group process at that point, or open up the customer group from the console tool bar or write a query to display same.

That's a bit sketchy I know, but it has a good chance of working.  Webdesk should allow much of the same method to be used too.

• 4. Re: Ability to Add Attachment to Customer
                Apprentice

Fantastic, thanks very much for the help.

I went through and created it, just the job Thanks.

Ian

• 5. Re: Ability to Add Attachment to Customer
                  ITSMMVPGroup

Result!  Andy would have said the same thing, of course :-)

• 6. Re: Ability to Add Attachment to Customer
                    aparker Employee

Indeed I would have Dave! It's like we never been apart. All I would add, is that if you really only have a couple of specifc attachment types and no more, you could always be even simpler and just create attachment attributes on the Customer object.

Andy