6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2011 3:13 AM by Makke

Create A WinPE 3.0 Boot Disk for LANDesk Provisioning

JeremyG Apprentice

( I used to be able to create actual documents, but it's not lettings me now, so here it is as a discussion.  Please let me know if you try this and have any success, or problems with the process so that I can update and fix any errors for other people)

This is not tested or supported by LANDesk in any way, and I do not work for LANDesk.  Use at your own risk!

This document describes the steps used to create the WinPE 3.0 image that works with LANDesk 9.0 SP2 and ADSI.

1. A Windows 7 PC to work on (XP will work but sometimes has issues using ImageX)
      2. Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) for Windows 7
      3. ADSI for Windows PE 3.0  (optional)
      4. Boot.wim file from an original LANDesk 9.0 SP2 WindowsPE boot disk

Configuring the Windows 7 Computer

1. Install WAIK onto computer.
      2. Create two folders in the root of C:
        • \MountOld
        • \MountNew
      3. Open a command prompt
      4. Enter:  CD \Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\
      5. Execute command: CopyPE.cmd x86 C:\wpe
        This will create a folder called wpe and copy the needed files. Most importantly, the winpe.wim file (modified date of 7/13/2009), which is the new WinPE 3.0 image. This command will fail if the wpe folder exists already
      6. Copy the original Boot.wim file from the LANDesk 9.0 boot disk to the C:\Wpe folder\
      7. For ease-of-use, copy the Tools folder from C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\ to C:\wpe\

Modifying the WinPE 3.0

1. Open a command prompt using “Run As Administrator”
      2. Navigate to C:\wpe\Tools\x86
      3. Execute:  Imagex.exe /mount C:\wpe\boot.wim 1 C:\MountOld
      4. Execute:  Imagex.exe /mount C:\wpe\winpe.wim 1 C:\MountNew
      5. Copy the following folders from C:\MountOld to C:\MountNew (these folders contain the LANDesk files necessary for provisioning)
        • Cba8
        • InstalledDrivers
        • Ldclient
      6. Copy the following files from C:\mountOld\Windows\System32 to C:\MountNew\Windows\system32
        • ALL.REG
        • Winpe.bmp
        • WinPE20ProvBootOpt.REG
      7. Execute: Imagex.exe /unmount C:\MountOld
      8. Execute:  REG.EXE load HKLM\SysNew C:\MountNew\Windows\System32\Config\SYSTEM
      9. Import the following registry keys.  This adds the LANDesk remote control service, and adds the LANDesk Folders to the PATH.  (you can cut & paste this text into a .reg file for easy import)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

"DisplayName"="LANDesk Remote Control Service"
        "Description"="Allows Remote Control from the internal help desk or IT organization."

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SysNew\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

10. Execute:  REG.EXE unload HKLM\SysNew
      11. Optional:   Modify the screen resolution of Windows PE by following the syntax in this article.  (change the file named C:\MountNew\Windows\System32\Unattend.xml) http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/1858
      12. Navigate to C:\wpe\Tools\x86\Servicing
      13. Execute the following commands:
        • Dism /Image:C:\MountNew /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\wpe\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\winpe-hta.cab
        • Dism /Image:C:\MountNew /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\wpe\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\winpe-mdac.cab
        • Dism /Image:C:\MountNew /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\wpe\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\winpe-scripting.cab
        • Dism /Image:C:\MountNew /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\wpe\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\winpe-wmi.cab
        • Dism /Image:C:\MountNew /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\wpe\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-hta_en-us.cab
        • Dism /Image:C:\MountNew /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\wpe\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-mdac_en-us.cab
        • Dism /Image:C:\MountNew /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\wpe\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-scripting_en-us.cab
        • Dism /Image:C:\MountNew /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\wpe\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-wmi_en-us.cab
        • Dism /Image:C:\MountNew /Add-Driver /Driver:D:\ADSIPlug\ADSIx86\ADSIx86.inf /forceunsigned  (optional, you must download and extract the ADSI plugin to this folder manually)
        • Dism /Image:C:\MountNew /Add-Driver /Driver:C:\wpe\VMWareDrivers\ /forceunsigned  (optional, this is where i put all my drivers for VMWare so that I can use the boot disk in VMware)
      14. Execute: Imagex.exe /commit C:\MountNew
      15. Execute: Imagex.exe /unmount C:\MountNew
      16. Copy C:\wpe\WinPe.wim to the boot folder of a USB boot disk and rename to boom.wim (replacing the existing file)