7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2011 12:44 PM by lindberg16

LANDesk 8.8 Console issue

Rookie

I have inherited an 8.8 core (with a local DB) that will be going away eventually (merged into my v9 core).  The issue we're encountering is that our support team can't seem to connect their consoles to the 8.8 core server successfully.  They appear to successfully establish the initial connection to the core on port 445, but never attempt to open up the 1433 SQL connection to the core.  The console eventually times out trying to connect to the database.

It works from the core server itself just fine.  It may also matter that there are two seperate domains involved.  V9 and the machine we're testing from are on domain A, the v8.8 core is on domain B.

We've tried various combinations of opening up firewalls (including opening them completely to the test machine) to no avail.  I will grant that this absolutely feels firewall-ish, but if running wide open doesn't fix it I'm not sure where to go.  In the past this issue was always caused by my db server not having an opening in its FW.

Just in case the 8.8 console and 9 console don't play well, this test machine is XP and ONLY has the 8.8 console installed.  The appropriate SPs are installed.

An thoughts?  I may well have been missing something obvious all along...

• 1. Re: LANDesk 8.8 Console issue
          mrspike SSMMVPGroup

If certain LANDesk Hotfixes, LANDesk SP's or other patches are installed, it will fail it the Consoles are not at the same patch level.

post the console.exe.log up here

• 2. Re: LANDesk 8.8 Console issue
            Rookie

Here's an example of the output from the console log.

Bear in mind that all users fail from the machine the console is on, but succeed from the console on the core server.

Obviously the "open database failed" seems to be the issue, I just haven't found the cause.

1/25/2011 11:45:53 AM : Connnecting to the database.
            1/25/2011 11:45:53 AM : Authenticating NT User
            1/25/2011 11:45:53 AM : Disconnecting the previously logged on user.
            1/25/2011 11:45:53 AM : Authenticating the user.
            1/25/2011 11:45:57 AM : Connecting to the database
            1/25/2011 11:46:15 AM : Failed to open the database (0)
            1/25/2011 11:46:25 AM : Failed to open the database (1)
            1/25/2011 11:46:35 AM : Failed to open the database (2)
            1/25/2011 11:46:45 AM : Failed to open the database (3)
            1/25/2011 11:46:55 AM : Failed to open the database (4)
            1/25/2011 11:47:22 AM : Failed to open the database (5)
            1/25/2011 11:47:32 AM : Failed to open the database (6)
            1/25/2011 11:47:32 AM : Open database failed: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
            Invalid connection string attribute
            1/25/2011 11:47:32 AM : OleDbException:
            System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
               at LANDesk.ManagementSuite.Database.Database..ctor(String provider, String server, String database, String user, String password)
               at LANDesk.ManagementSuite.Database.LanDeskDatabase.NewOpen(String connectionString, String coreName, String language)
               at LANDesk.ManagementSuite.Database.LanDeskDatabase.Open(String connectionString, String coreName)
               at LANDesk.ManagementSuite.WinConsole.FormMain.ConnectToDatabase(String core, String userName, String password)

1/25/2011 11:47:32 AM : OleDbException:
            System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
               at LANDesk.ManagementSuite.Database.Database..ctor(String provider, String server, String database, String user, String password)
               at LANDesk.ManagementSuite.Database.LanDeskDatabase.NewOpen(String connectionString, String coreName, String language)
               at LANDesk.ManagementSuite.Database.LanDeskDatabase.Open(String connectionString, String coreName)
               at LANDesk.ManagementSuite.WinConsole.FormMain.ConnectToDatabase(String core, String userName, String password)
               at LANDesk.ManagementSuite.WinConsole.Console.LoginForm.x38e768d357a8f002(Object xe0292b9ed559da7d, EventArgs xfbf34718e704c6bc)

• 3. Re: LANDesk 8.8 Console issue
              Jason SupportEmployee

Take a look at this Document Error when logging into the LANDesk 32 bit Remote Console: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen(Connect()).] SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

My first thought is the registry setting the other common issue could be the firewall on the core server you mentioned turning off on the client but did you do the same on the core.

• 4. Re: LANDesk 8.8 Console issue
                Rookie

I've tried disabling firewalls from end to end.

That article got my hopes up, but it turns out was not the issue. The client can resolve the value of the Server string no problem.  The client can telnet to landesk 1433 without a problem.

I am noting that 8.8 and 9.0 seem to populate that Server string slightly differently (one with /LDMSDATA at the end, one with ,1433).

I also have tried reinstalling the console, patching up to 8.8 SP3.

Still hangs at "Connecting to the database."

I am starting to get tempted to move the database off the core server and onto something else, just to see if it clears up the dumb.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: LANDesk 8.8 Console issue
                  Jason SupportEmployee

Were you able to connect to the DB via system DSN (ODBC) from the remote console?

Jason

• 6. Re: LANDesk 8.8 Console issue
                    Rookie

Just tried it now and yes, I was able to connect to the database with ODBC.

• 7. Re: LANDesk 8.8 Console issue
                      Rookie

Sooo... Anyone have any other thoughts as to why the console isn't talking, even though it certainly appears capable?