5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2008 10:18 AM by IronMike

Automatic Consecutive Scheduled Tasks

Rookie

I have a question about package distribution and pushing software through LanDesk as a scheduled task. Right now, for our Windows based computers we have all of our software setup to distribute as a scheduled task, and it pushes out the distribution package setup for the task (pretty standard). There are times, however, when we would need to push out 10 apps to a single machine. I was wondering that through the use of a script or other method if anybody knew of a way to set scheduled tasks to start the next task once the previous task has finished, and continues that through until all the tasks in a list have been completed. Currently I am having to schedule the task, approximate the amount of time that task will complete, and then set the next task to execute after that amount of time, and this is quite the hassle.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Automatic Consecutive Scheduled Tasks
          zman Master

I have never tried this before, but without scripting or batch file, you could use dependent packages. Small example. You have APP1, APP2, APP3, APP4, and want to push them to a particular group of computers. You already have Distribution Packages setup for all apps 1-4. Make one app the master app - let's say APP4. Setup a distribution package for APP4. Then make APP1, APP2, APP3 dependent packages.  I believe the apps are installed alphabetically so you could stage them for a certain sequence.

The other way would be to put them all in a batch file. 

David Zubrowski

LDMS 8.7 SP3 | 3 Cores - 2003| 16,000 nodes |  SQL 2000 SP4 | Suggested Posting Guidelines

I am not an employee of LANDesk. My views expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of any normal human being.

• 2. Re: Automatic Consecutive Scheduled Tasks
            Apprentice

I have three installs and install 2 & 3 have dependent files. 2 is dependent on files installed from #1, and 3 is dependent on file installed from #2.  If you schedule them 30 minutes apart the install goes smoothly.

Zferrini

Not a LANDesk employee

• 3. Re: Automatic Consecutive Scheduled Tasks
              Rookie

I can understand where it's not that big of a deal to schedule the tasks when you only have a few packages, but it can get a little difficult when we have about 35 packages plus updates that we push out through LANDesk. Making dependent packages and then pushing a single task to install everything isn't ideal either, because not everybody in the company gets the same exact software (although some is the same, such as Acrobat), and I can't have somebody like a business admin end up with CS3, which is meant for the designers. Scheduling the tasks now is what I do, but it can be a hassle to schedule upwards of 20 tasks to push out to a fresh build, and then hoping that none of them goes longer than expected and prevents the next install from starting. Really what I'm looking for is a way to setup a script, called Designers for example, that will push out certain scheduled tasks one after another without having to schedule the tasks in intervals. Any ideas?

• 4. Re: Automatic Consecutive Scheduled Tasks
                Apprentice

For that many apps I use a batch file that the commands look like this:

@echo off

start /wait file://%5C%5Cservername%5Cpath to file /switches for silent install and parameters passed

start /wait file://%5C%5Cservername%5Cpath to file /switches for silent install and parameters passed

Repeat as above for each package.  Sounds like your imaging then installing apps per dept. If you have setup files embedded inside the msi you might want to ping the machine in between. If you like I can be more in depth.

Zferrini

• 5. Re: Automatic Consecutive Scheduled Tasks
                  Employee

You can also use provisioning to install software. As long as you have created the packages, you can chain together as many as you want.