7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2011 1:37 PM by LANDeskWizrd

Manage 8.8 clients in LDMS 9 sp2

Apprentice

How do I get the current LANDesk 8.8 clients to show up in LDMS 9sp2 Console?

• 1. Re: Manage 8.8 clients in LDMS 9 sp2
          Apprentice

if the server name is the same and you have the security key for your 8.8 clients on your 9.x server the clients should report in on their local scheduler inventory scan schedule. Did you perform an in place upgrade or how did you go about the 9.x install?

• 2. Re: Manage 8.8 clients in LDMS 9 sp2
            LANDeskWizrd SSMMVPGroup

The server name doesn't actually have to be the same as before. You can use a DNS alias to point the old name to the new core and that would solve that if that is the case. Like Kenyon mentioned, you need to have the certificate from the old core on the new core or none of this will matter.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Manage 8.8 clients in LDMS 9 sp2
              Apprentice

we did a side by side install.  We are migrating from LANDesk 8.8 to 9 sp2.  The hardware the 8.8 was installed on has died, but I do believe I have a copy of the certificates.  I will work on that this afternoon.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Manage 8.8 clients in LDMS 9 sp2
                Apprentice

I had our sys admins create the alias pointing the old server to the new server.  I also used the copy method to copy the LD8.8 certs onto the LD9 Core.

When the alias is active, I lose funtionality of the Active Directory connector going to my main AD server.  We have three other AD connectors.  All four use the same user credentials which is a domain admin account.  The other three connectors do not error out.  The main AD server throws an authentication error.

I had the alias removed and the AD connector works properly.

Any ideas?????

A bug, maybe????

• 5. Re: Manage 8.8 clients in LDMS 9 sp2
                  LANDeskWizrd SSMMVPGroup

That's strange. In the past I just created an alias using the old name and pointing it to the new servers ip address. Weird that it would give you issues. Without being able to trick your existing 8.8 clients into thinking the old name is active, they won't send inventory.

• 6. Re: Manage 8.8 clients in LDMS 9 sp2
                    Apprentice

Okay, this may be the problem.  They created an alias pointing name to name.  Not name to IP.  I am going to have them re-do with and name to ip alias and see if that helps.  If not, I will open a support case on this issue.  I will keep this thread updated to our test results.

Thanks for all your assistance.

jw

• 7. Re: Manage 8.8 clients in LDMS 9 sp2
                      LANDeskWizrd SSMMVPGroup

Sorry for the confusion, its been a little while since I did this. I believe an Alias will only let you do name to name. You shouldn't see any issues in dns when adding an Alias.