1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 5, 2011 6:31 AM by EMiranda

Copy of the Master Image

Rookie

hi,

I would like to make a backup copy of the master image.  This image is not syspreped and will only be used if i need to make changes to the master image or I need to start again incase something goes wrong during sysprep setup.

The root partition C:\ is 20G

And the rest of the disk is unalloacted.

I am aware that LANDesk deploys the image and expands the remaining unallocated disk space.  This is fine however i do not want this to occur when i restore the master image.

What options should i select on the Deploy Job in OSD so the image i restore is identical to the image i capture?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Copy of the Master Image
          EMiranda Expert

one way you could do is capture your image by only selecting the first partition to capture.  Then when you deploy the image its the only partition that will lay down.

The default LANDesk paramaters have /d:0 which idientifies to capture the whole disk, disk 0.

you can change that paramater to /d:[email protected] which will tell the capture tool to only capture the 1st partition on disk 0.

the /f switch can identify target partitions as well, but i have not messed too much with those switches, here is an exerpt from the documentation that might be helpful:

"For example, you might type the following at the command prompt to create a backup using Image for Windows. The command specifies the source drive and partition, the target drive and partition, and the backup filename.

imagew /b /d:[email protected] /f:[email protected]:\mypath\filename

The first parameter, /b, identifies that you want to perform a backup.

The second parameter, /d:0, identifies the drive to back up. This example backs up Hard Drive 0.

The next part of that parameter, @0x01, identifies the partition to back up on the selected hard drive; this example backs up the first partition. If you want to back up the entire drive, simply omit the part of the parameter that identifies the partition.

The third parameter, /f, identifies that you are about to specify where to store the backup file. 1 identifies the target drive and @0x01 again identifies the partition; in this example, Image for Windows will store the backup file on Hard Drive 1 in the partition with ID 0x01. The information after @0x01 represents the path and file name where you want to store the backup file. In this example, Image for Windows stores the backup file in \mypath\filename.

To list partitions on a hard drive, you would type:
          imagew /l /d:0 > filename.txt

In this example, /d:0 identifies hard drive 0 as the drive for which you want to list partitions and > filename.txt indicates the file where Image for Windows will write the list of partitions. You can add the /fs parameter to also list the free space for each partition."

I got the full manual from here - http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/ifw_en_manual.pdf