7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 11:04 AM by Slapp

Deploying Windows 7 images

Apprentice

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere else, but I can't find the solution. I have read the BKM but this a little sparse.

Situation,

I want to deploy windows 7 images via OSD and Provisioning.

I would rather use ImageX for the image as don't want to have to create different images for different HD sizes which I believe is a failing of ImageW.

When installing Win 7 there are two partitions.  The primary partition as expected and the new system reserved 100MB partition.

Both are required but OSD only asks for one .wim file. Presumably we need 2, one for each partition?

Has anyone got round this issue?

How do you capture and deploy both images?

Thanks

Steve

LANDesk version 9. no service packs installed yet.

• 1. Re: Deploying Windows 7 images
          EMiranda Expert

you are down the right path.  If you are using imageX which is file based, you will need to capture the system 100mb partition in one .wim file and then capture your boot partition in the 2nd wim. Then during deploying you will need to create both partitions and deploy both .wim files to each of the partitions you created.

best way is to go into winpe and then list out the volumes:

diskpart

select disk 0

list volume

then capture the volumes: (you can modify the imagex switches to your liking, this is just basic)

Run Imagex /capture c: y:\test.wim
          Run Imagex /capture d: y:\test.wim

• 2. Re: Deploying Windows 7 images
            EMiranda Expert

Steve, out of curiosity... you say  "...create different images for different HD sizes which I believe is a failing of ImageW."

why would you need to create different HD size images with ImageW, i use ImageW, i have one image for over 26 different hardware models and they all have various HD sizes.  Can you explain more on your issue?

• 3. Re: Deploying Windows 7 images
              Apprentice

Hi Steve

I have managed to get around this problem and now everything is on a single partition.

What you need to do is capture the single partition with just windows on using imagex. If you try and deploy this alone you will get an error saying somthing along the lines of NT loader not present. After you have deployed the image but before you restart run the following commands:

bcdedit /set {default} device partition=c:
              bcdedit /set {default} osdevice partition=c:
              bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device partition=c:
              bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures

The final command is not neccesary, it stops the system from running a check disk everytime the PC fails to boot, this is useful in an environement like ours where the kids like to hit the reset/power button for no reason at all.

I run the above as a batch file using the execute file task just before I run the Configure Target OS task and the PC reboots.

Hope this is some help

Gary

• 4. Re: Deploying Windows 7 images
                Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess I'm wrong but I thought that as imageW was sector based you would always need to deploy to a larger or same size HD, like in the days of RIS. To be honest, I don't really mind which tool I use, but I had always used ImageX in the past.

It also kind of annoys me that ImageX and Windows 7 are both MS tools yet they don't play nicely together in this instance of the extra partition.

• 5. Re: Deploying Windows 7 images
                  EMiranda Expert

ImageW is sector based and you are correct on the logic, but if you create your image in VM or your machine with the smallest HD, you should have no problems deploying images for the future.

VM is personally my way to go because you can create the HD to whatever size you want and you can use snapshots to manage your image versioning.

• 6. Re: Deploying Windows 7 images
                    Rookie

If you're still open to using imageW except for that problem, you can get around the hard disk size issue. In Windows PE, if you use the diskpart tool and then the "shrink" command on the primary partition, you can capture the smallest image possible and then deploy to more hard drives.(http://community.landesk.com/support/message/76818) Once you get over that hurdle, I've found imagew to work much more like how I want (aka like Ghost) than imagex does.

• 7. Re: Deploying Windows 7 images
                      Apprentice

I just shrink the volume in Windows as the second to the last step in my gold image creation (the last step being sysprep).