4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2011 5:20 AM by Nicke

How does vBoot work?

Rookie

Hi,

We are evaluating LANDesk and I´m trying to figure out how vBoot works.

Anyone that can point me to a good document or tell me how this works?

As I can figure out this does not require iphelpers or PXE representative

Regards

Niklas

• 1. Re: How does vBoot work?
          Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

Hi,

Basically, what Vboot does is using the LANDesk agent to download the WindowsPE bootfile to c: and modify the bootfile to load that file on next startup, so that WindowsPE will be loaded into the RAM the next time when the PC starts up (usually done in the vboot action). That way, you have the same result as PXE boot to Windows PE, but indeed without the need for a PXE server. Note that the PC's do have to be active (although you could boot them first with WoL, if you have that option) and have a LANDesk agent to be able to Vboot.

Frank

Axle-IT

• 2. Re: How does vBoot work?
            Rookie

Okay, this sounds really interesting, follow up question

It downloads the WinPE file from the nearest server share or? not from the core server because this could be at a remote location?

How does it know where to find the server share?

• 3. Re: How does vBoot work?
              Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

Unless you specifically change it, it will always download from the http share on your Core Server. In your script you can see the variable %CUSTJOBHOSTIP%. This is the IP address of your core server. Of course you can change the command to utilize preferred server technology or DFS. Anything that gets the boot.wim o c:\ will work here

REMEXEC9=<qt/>%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\sdclient.exe<qt/> /f /o /dest="C:\boot.wim" /p="http://%CUSTJOBHOSTIP%/landesk/vboot/boot.wim"

Frank

Axle-IT

• 4. Re: How does vBoot work?
                Rookie

Great, thanks!