1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2008 9:30 AM by Jibber

Reaply policy...

Rookie

I installed Acrobat Reader on a Client with the following settings:

• Delivery type: Policy

• Delivery method: required Installation (LANDesk Standard)

After that I uninstalled Acrobat Reader manually. Now I would expect that the client reinstalls Acrobat Reader but nothing happens. I ran the Policy tool on the client manually and can see that the policy is downloaded but nothing gets installed.... I have deleted/added the client from the task, restartet the scheduled task. So what is wrong?

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Reaply policy...
          Leon SupportEmployee

Are you using 8.7? If so you may try to delete the policy cache from the registry and download the policy again.

The location in the registry is:

HKLM\Software\Intel\LANDesk\LDWM\AppHealing\Agent\AMClient\PolicyCache

• 2. Re: Reaply policy...
            Rookie

Thanks Leon it works

I think for testing this is a good solution but how would I handle such a case in a productiv environment? Scenario: Application XY must be installed on the client. If the user uninstalls the application it should be reinstalled by LDMS policy.

• 3. Re: Reaply policy...
              Employee

Jibber,

Set up detection for one of the main Adobe Reader files in the distribution package.

• 4. Re: Reaply policy...
                Employee

Sorry, my previous doesn't make sense. Try using a query for the policy. Query for machines that don't have Adobe Reader installed, something like that.

• 5. Re: Reaply policy...
                  Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

The problem is a mix of the features we have available in 8.7 and your process.

You deployed a package using a Delivery Method that had Run Once checked in the Type and Frequency.

So you told it to only Run once.  So you it ran once.  You uninstalled the software, but that doesn't change the fact this it already did "Run once".  So it will only run ONCE cause that is what you told it to do.

We store the registry key information so we know that it has run once and since you used a deliver method that had Required - Run Once.  We base this information off the Distribution Package ID in vesrion 8.5 through 8.7.  So all you have to do to reapply the package is to make a copy of the Distribution Package (cause the copy with have a different Distribution Package ID in the database) and then create a second task to deploy the copy.  So you have to have two Distribution Packages and two Scheduled Tasks.  If it happens again, you have to copy again.

So obviously the way you want it to work is more desired. Even though you said to only run once, what you meant was "Run once" if it is not installed.  And you probably don't want to have to copy a Distribution Package.

In 8.8 we changed this to run off the Scheduled Task ID instead of the Distribution Package ID.  We also no longer store the information in the Registry.  So now you only need to create a new Scheduled Task.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Reapply policy...
                    Rookie

Thx for your answers, very useful

• 7. Re: Reaply policy...
                      zman Master

In 8.8 we changed this to run off the Scheduled Task ID instead of the

Distribution Package ID. We also no longer store the information in the

Registry. So now you only need to create a new Scheduled Task.

YES - Outstanding - Case 00066776  Thank you for listening!

• 8. Re: Reaply policy...
                        Rookie

New question: How can I manually force the client to get the policies in 8.8? In 8.7 there was a shortcut... ?:|

• 9. Re: Reaply policy...
                          zman Master

Start | Programs | Landesk Management | LANDesk Software Deployment Portal

• 10. Re: Reaply policy...
                            Rookie

I tried this but there are no policies...

• 11. Re: Reaply policy...
                              zman Master

Do you have any policies targetted at the machine/user? Remember required do not show.

• 12. Re: Reaply policy...
                                Rookie

Policy / Always listed for Installation

On the core server the client is pending and it says: Policy has been made available. But nothing happens...

If I have a required policy how can I force the client manually to get it?

• 13. Re: Reaply policy...
                                  zman Master

Is it machine or user based target?

Restart the policy.

• 14. Re: Reaply policy...
                                    Employee

Zman is absolutely correct about the LANDesk Software Deployment Portal. Running that will launch the policy.sync.exe, which will cause the client machine to contact the core and get any assigned policies.

When the sync occurs, the database file on the client will get updated with any new policies (C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\Database\LDClientDB.db3). You could always delete this database and then run \ldclient\clientdbutil.exe /validate and then run the software deployment portal again. But I think this would reapply all policies targeting the machine.

Although the policy sync will update the local client database, it is not actually responsible for running the policy. That is the policy.client.invoker.exe file. See if that is running. There is a new service that launches this executable on startup (Policy Invoker service, something like that). If it's not running, you can sync with the core all you want and the policy won't ever run. This service also takes care of re-creating the client database if it gets deleted or corrupted.

1 2 Previous Next