6 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2011 10:46 AM by jnick

Need to copy 1,237 files to a directory - What's the best method?

Rookie

Long story short, an application that we use issued an update that was supposed to occur automatically. However, their automatic update failed and now I have to do it manually on roughly 250 machines.

The update is extremely simple, however. All I need to do it copy files into a directory (C:\Program Files\...).

I tried doing a Batch File Distribution Package. The total size of the package is 15MB. However, due to the amount of files, it took FOREVER to copy them down to the local cache, even when coming directly from the core.

I called up my LANDesk rep/trainer and he explained two options...

1.) Creating a script using REMEXEC to copy the files from a network share down to the local machine. He felt this would be the best bet.

2.) Using the "old" LANDesk Package Builder, which he explained would most likely be hard to find.

The problem is, I have no idea where to start on this script creation (syntax, etc) or how to even deploy it. I attempted a search on the kb but couldn't seem to find any example remexec scripts.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have to have the software updated by Thursday. Therefore if I can't make headway by tomorrow, I then have to brute force this .

Thank you,

John

• 1. Re: Need to copy 1,237 files to a directory - What's the best method?
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Whatever you use to do it, packing them into a single file like a self-extracting EXE or a ZIP file you subsequently unzip would make distribution a whole lot quicker.

You could use a custom vulnerability to detect if the machine needs the update and then performs the unzip for you.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need to copy 1,237 files to a directory - What's the best method?
            Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion! I created a self-extracting EXE and pushed down a EXE package from LANDesk. The file was downloaded rather quickly however it would appear the installation failed. This was what the log showed:

Tue, 03 May 2011 08:58:32 File (\\landesk9\packages\installs\Compass_April_Update\Compass_Update.sfx.exe) is not in cache
            Tue, 03 May 2011 08:58:34 Performing TCP connection with a timeout of -1 milliseconds
            Tue, 03 May 2011 08:58:39 ILdDownloading file to C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\SDMCache\ldlogon\FileLists\taskmanifest.LANDESK9.199.27.ini, attempt 0
            Tue, 03 May 2011 08:58:41 ILdDownloadFile returned 0
            Tue, 03 May 2011 08:58:41

Downloading file \\landesk9.msmc.edu\packages\installs\Compass_April_Update\Compass_Update.sfx.exe (gzFrqHjIPDA5QaZm53ID0Q==, 4)
            Tue, 03 May 2011 08:58:41 Downloading file 1 of 1 from '\\landesk9\packages\installs\Compass_April_Update\Compass_Update.sfx.exe'
            Tue, 03 May 2011 08:58:41 LSWD or Executable Client Thread
            Tue, 03 May 2011 08:58:41 PackagePath:     [\\landesk9\packages\installs\Compass_April_Update\Compass_Update.sfx.exe]
            Tue, 03 May 2011 08:58:41 Processing generic executable
            Tue, 03 May 2011 08:58:41 Launched application 'C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\SDMCache\packages\installs\Compass_April_Update\Compass_Update.sfx.exe' ('') result 16777312
            Tue, 03 May 2011 08:58:41 Installation result 8DB50060
            Tue, 03 May 2011 08:58:41 processing of package is complete, result -1917517728 (0x8db50060 - code 96)

Any ideas why it may have failed? I can tell you that the computer was sitting at the Login screen with no user logged in at the time.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Need to copy 1,237 files to a directory - What's the best method?
              Rookie

A few more pieces of info...

I am using a Policy-Supported Push and downloading directly from the core.

From some more troubleshooting, it would appear that the job works ONLY if someone is logged into the machine. Is there a way to get an EXE package to install without a user logged in? I'm gonna go tinker some more but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

John

• 4. Re: Need to copy 1,237 files to a directory - What's the best method?
                MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Not certain what you used to package or where you are putting the files. If the package is using any kind of environment variable then you may have an issue, especially if it is for where user documents are. Also, is there a silent extraction option you can pass via a command line?

• 5. Re: Need to copy 1,237 files to a directory - What's the best method?
                  cknott SupportEmployee

Your best bet is to use a .zip file that is stored on the core server under the patch folder.  I have attached a custom definition which you can tweak for your use.

It is based off of detecting Symantec.  You will want to change the detection to a File detection (if your patch is introducing new files) or key off of the file version (if you are upgrading existing files).

In the Patch information section, you will need to change the file name and location, and once its copied over to the ldlogon\patch folder click the download button and then the hash button.

In the patch install commands you can see the line to download a file, and then Unzip a file.  Change the paths and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

• 6. Re: Need to copy 1,237 files to a directory - What's the best method?
                    Rookie

Thanks, everyone. I will definiently save that XML for future reference, Chad.

I wound up getting it to work. I used 7zip to create an archive of the files, then another program which gives advanced GUI-based options to create the self-extracting EXE. I resolved the problem of having the update installed when the user is NOT logged in by simply selecting "Hide All Feedback from User" in my Delivery Method. I've done four testing iterations and it updated in roughly 45 seconds to one minute.

Like I said, however, I'm definitely interested in the XML script and will disect that guy so I have more options for future installs.

Thanks again for taking the time out to assist!

John