2 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2011 10:19 AM by jwood8

Scan for all files with a known extension

jwood8 Apprentice

Hi all,

I've been asked to scan all of our workstations for certain files with a known extension (.bbk) but I'm struggling to get this done. I found some info about doing this for PST files but we're on v9 and it seems different. Does anyone know how to do this? It needs to be a wildcard search as the filenames will differ, just the extension that will remain the same.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Scan for all files with a known extension
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

What are you trying to achieve? Do you just need to know who has any of these, or do you need a full list of every single file with that extension?

If just a count, then add .bkk to the multimedia files extension list by editing the ldappl3.template file, saving it, then publishing to clients in the Software list section. You should just comment out the others because they all add to the total. This is a temporary setting, you should change it back again later. You should force clients to update their inventory and force a download of the software list using the command similar to:

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\LDISCN32.EXE" /NTT=SERVER:5007 /S=SERVER  /I=HTTP://SERVER/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /V

If you want to list all files then that isn't really something LANDesk can do out of the box without either additional tools or some playing about further with what ldappl is set to do.

Updated : Forgot the screenshot

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://www.marxtar.com

Register for our upcoming LANDesk Enhancements Webinar Series

• 2. Re: Scan for all files with a known extension
            jwood8 Apprentice

Thanks - I'll give that a try - one question though, do I run that command on the core or the clients? If clients, is there a way to force them all to do it? Cheers!