1 Reply Latest reply on May 14, 2011 3:43 AM by Göran.Pettersson

Length of time for incident to be assigned to support group from Service Desk

Rookie

Hi All

Bit of a Newbie to writing queries..(and to be honest I don't know if this is possible).

We're currently trying to provide some metrics of how our Service Desk is performing, and I'm trying to write a query to show the length of time it takes from when an incident is logged to when it is assigned by our service desk to an analyst group - when the Incident goes from a status of 'In Progress' to 'Assigned' (the target time will be less than an hour but I guess that's irrelevant here).

The actual logging of incidents isn't a simple 'Log Incident, Assign Incident' process. Sometimes our Service Desk staff log the incident , the rest of the time incidents are auto-populated via email (from an online form), either way all incidents sit with Service Desk (as the first assignment) before they're assigned on to analyst groups.

I've been looking at trying to write a query from the Assignment object to do this if it's possible, but I think I'm coming to the conclusion that I might have to settle for using the Creation date of the incident and the creation date of the relevant assignement then export the lot into Excel to do the calculations...

As far as the assignment creation date is concerned, should I be looking along the lines of using Assignment Status Title (where the attribute is 'Reassigned') and Process Assignment Serial Number to help dig out the correct date/time?

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I give in and try to get this done in Crystal Reports instead?

any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Ewan

• 1. Re: Length of time for incident to be assigned to support group from Service Desk
          Apprentice

Hello Ewan!

One way I have done to achieve this is to define a "Call" process in front of the incident process.  As soon as the service desk has defined that the call is an incident the ordinary "incident" process is created and the call process is closed. The incident process is set in an "accepted as incident" state ( creation date"

Either Servicedesk goes on working with the incident ( the it is set to "working".

If Service desk can not solve the incident right away it is escalated the "second line".

These dates are defined in a "call"

A service desk often has 2 sla response time to response whether the call is generated via phone(direct), portal  or mail (Indirect)

- Creation Time ( Start of sla response time)

- Start of defining  type of call Time (End of call response sla)

- Close Time ( End of define type if call time)

- Call is breached if the response time has failed

If the call ends up being an incident.

Incident

- Creation time ( Start of Incident sla)

- Functional escaltion time ( First assignment outside Service desk( second line), Defined attribute calculated with calculation)

- Latest Resolve time ( End of Incident sla time)

- Incident is breached if the incident resolve time is breached

This way I have all the dates I need to report in the incident table and can easily access these with a query.

I have used the call domain  sometimes to do the call management. The downside of using Incident as a domain of call management is that he underlying incident becomes an child incident. The good thing is that in 7.4 the "call" can be "transformed" to an incident. The only thing  to bare in mind is that the  former process (call) is not there any more. So the decision to use one or two domains is more up to what You want to save for reporting purposes.

Surely this can be done in many other ways.

Hope I can give You some ideas to reach your goal.

Göran