8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 10:06 PM by paramaguru

How to Rename the inBuilt Administrator account in Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise

Apprentice

Hi All,

How to rename the Inbuilt "Administrator" account in windows 7 64-bit enterprise, I can rename the Inbuilt "Administrator" account to the account name as "Client"...when i apply the Answer file its agin renamed to "Administrator"

How to reslove the and rename the account?

Can any one help me in this one and I want to change the Default CD\DVD drive letter from D to Z letter how can i chnage this also...if I change manually in Disk defragment...once I deploying the image it again going to Default "D" letter name

Can anyone help me in the both

Thanks and Regards

Paramaguru

• 1. Re: How to Rename the inBuilt Administrator account in Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise
          EMiranda Expert

Administrator account is required for sysprep to process, you will not be able to change the account name before Windows processes your .xml file.  Windows 7 by default disables the Administrator account when it is done using it in sysprep unless you specifically tell it other wise. Best practices would be to keep your Administrator account disabled and create a new account with sysprep with the name "Client" and add that user to the Administrators group.

Adding local accounts in sysprep is easy via amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral > UserAccounts

as for your 2nd question,

if you want to assign a specific letter to a drive, you should use Diskpart, Im not even sure you can assign a letter via Disk Defrag, but again you will want to assign the letters in the actual OS, not in WinPE, you can do this again through sysprep via amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral > FirstLogonCommands or amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Deployment_neutral > RunSynchronous

you can then do a diskpart /s %pathtoscript%\diskpart.txt

diskpart.txt would contain:

select disk 0

select volume 0

assign letter = Z

• 2. Re: How to Rename the inBuilt Administrator account in Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise
            Apprentice

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your supporting,To change the driver letter where i have to place this"amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral > FirstLogonCommands or amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Deployment_neutral > RunSynchronous" under Generalize or Specilazie or Oobe ?

which path I have to place the diskpart.txt? and that file itself delete automatically... How can I do this?

Thanks and Regards

Paramaguru 

• 3. Re: How to Rename the inBuilt Administrator account in Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise
              EMiranda Expert

genralize or oobe will work, im not sure about specialize, i never use that. generalize will run the script before the first reboot in sysprep, oobe will run during the first logon of the system. your preference, as the same for where your put the diskpart.txt. it doesnt matter where you put it, as long as you call it from where it is.

example, you can place it on c:\windows\temp\diskpart.txt

so just call it like this, diskpart /s c:\windows\temp\diskpart.txt

if you want to delete that file, just add a 2nd command to delete it. just use del or delete command.

• 4. Re: How to Rename the inBuilt Administrator account in Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise
                Apprentice

Thanks a Lot once again.....I will try this and let you know.....

• 5. Unpin Icons from Task Bar to All Users
                  Apprentice

And one morething I want to "Unpin" the "Windows Explorer and Media Player" from Taskbar..if I manually unpin those Icons its again coming after deployed the image for who ever login, How can i remove those icons permanently from taskbar ?....I need only IE icon in Taskbar....other than IE I don't want anything in Taskbar...How can I do this?

Help me please.....

• 6. Re: Unpin Icons from Task Bar to All Users
                    EMiranda Expert

You should be do all these in sysprep as well,

refer to amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral > TaskbarLinks

and you can manually specify the 3 taskbar links during deployment.

• 7. Re: Unpin Icons from Task Bar to All Users
                      Apprentice

Thats fine....i want to unpin or remove the "Windows Explorer" from Task bar...how can i do this in answer file?

• 8. Re: How to Rename the inBuilt Administrator account in Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise
                        Apprentice

Hi Emiranda,

Procedures:

1. When I was using this "diskpart /s c:\windows\temp\diskpart.txt" command line under generalize mode as per your guidance, It was working fine...The thing is Whatever machines have the Inbuilt DVD drive its automatically renaming from default DVD driver letter D: to Z: and I was getting only one partition like C: Drive as per my expectation.

2. Whatever Machines doesnt have the Inbuilt DVD drives,(In those machines we will be using USB DVD drives), It's automatically separate the C drive into C drive as OS files Partition and System reserved partition was assigned into drive letter Z:, It was giving the two partitions instead of Single partition like C: Drive Alone and it was assigning the some other drive letter for External DVD drive.

Clarification and How to do this for Procedure 2?

In this Case I need whenever we are using the External DVD drive it should assign that drive letter into Z: for that Particular External DVD drive... and I shouldnot get the two separate partitions in that same machine like C drive as OS files Partition and System reserved partition as Z:, In this case also I need Single Partition as C Drive alone, But the External DVD Drive Letter should be assigned to letter Z: whenever we are pluging into those machines.

Can you please help me in this regards,

Thanks and Regards,

Paramaguru