7 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2011 2:30 AM by landeskbeginner

how can i create a null-share-session?

Rookie

hello

i know which tool i have to use: sysshare.exe...

but how is it workin? in which folder must i put it in? call it from cmd with switches? or just dubbleklick?

i go this error-window:

sysshrs.png

and ideas?

greetz

• 1. Re: how can i create a null-share-session?
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Try following these instructions:

Setting up a null session share on an NT-based machine

On the computer that you are using to host the share, make sure "Everyone" or "Authenticated Users" has full permissions on the share.

1. From the Start menu, Run the program "regedt32"..In the Registry Editor window, find the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on Local Machine" window.
          2. Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/lanmanserver/parameters."
          3. Open the multi string value "NullSessionShares" and add the share name from the folder you selected in Step 1. This value should be entered on a new line in the registry value.
          4. Close the Registry Editor window.
          5. Under Administrative Tools, select Services.
          6. Right-click the "Server" service and select Restart to restart the service.

Note: If the computer that is hosting the shared files has the value "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\RestrictAnonymous" set to 1 or 2, then the you will need to set the RestrictAnonymous value to 0.

If the system where you are creating the null session share is running Windows 2003 Server or above, you will also need to enable the Group Policy "Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users". You can do this by:

1. Start menu
          2. Run
          3. gpedit.msc
          4. Drill down to the following location:Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options
          5. Double click on "Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users"
          6. Select "Enable" and press Enter

To test your setup, you can use the "net use" command to connect to your resource using an anonymous login and null. From a command prompt, execute the following:

net use \\servername\sharename "" /user:""

(Where "\\servername\sharename" is replaced by the UNC of the null share.)

If you already have a connection to the server, you will have to clear the connection to the server prior to executing the above command, or it will instead attempt to map the device using the previously successful connection parameters.

The response "The command completed successfully" indicates that the device was mapped successfully, while errors such as "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied" indicate an immediate failure and you must verify your setup.

If you have successfully mapped the device, you should then attempt to copy files to or from the resource "\\servername\sharename" to ensure you have the access desired.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://www.marxtar.com

Register for our upcoming LANDesk Enhancements Webinar Series

• 2. Re: how can i create a null-share-session?
            zman Master

Mark provided some great info on sysshrs, however, depending on your version of LANDesk you may or may not need null session shares. If you are running 9.0 you may not need a null session share.

Please consider voting for these ERs:
            Query Builder Import
            http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/1794
            Provide bulk client deletions without carpal tunnel syndrome.
            http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/2293
            Core Synchronization Allow Mirror functionality from Master Core
            http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/2292

• 3. Re: how can i create a null-share-session?
              Rookie

again thank you for your fast reply.  i will try theses steps.  but what is the sysshrs.exe good for? in the ldms9-manual i red that i need this .exe to create a null-share-session. but not how to do that.  someone tipps for this sysshrs.exe?

• 4. Re: how can i create a null-share-session?
                zman Master

From Help:

If you aren't using preferred servers or preferred server credentials, you'll need to make your package share null-session, which allows users to access the share without having to provide alternate credentials. Use the SysShrs.exe utility to create a null-session share folder.

I think if you just add domain computers to the share you will OK, so I don't think sysshrs is really necessary if you you use preferred servers or add domain computers to the share.  So from a security perspective, don't implement null session shares and test.

Please consider voting for these ERs:

Query Builder Import

http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/1794

Provide bulk client deletions without carpal tunnel syndrome.

http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/2293

Core Synchronization Allow Mirror functionality from Master Core

http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/2292

• 5. Re: how can i create a null-share-session?
                  Rookie

yes i know...

but what i dont know is, HOW is the sysshrs.exe working?!

i allways get an error window (the one in my first post) when i try to use it...

my question is:

====================================

||     what must i do to use the sysshrs.exe?!      ||

====================================

• 6. Re: how can i create a null-share-session?
                    MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Sysshrs is a very old program so migth be having issues with the OS version you have or security settings. It isn't actually necessary to use it. It was provided to make one section of the instructions I gave you a bit easier:

• From the Start menu, Run the program "regedt32"..In the Registry Editor window, find the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on Local Machine" window.
                  • Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/lanmanserver/parameters."
                  • Open the multi string value "NullSessionShares" and add the share name from the folder you selected in Step 1. This value should be entered on a new line in the registry value.
                  • Close the Registry Editor window.
                  •  

If you follow these steps and add the name of the sahre manually, you get the same result as if you had run sysshrs. You just lose a GUI way of doing it.

Zman is right though; null session shares are an old way of doing this (although does make distributing a bit simpler security-wise in some ways) and I would recommend you try to follow the ways he has described. Null session shares are a cheat to allow the computer account access to a share anonymously because the LANDesk agent runs as local system. In the old days, LANDesk had no mechanism to authenticate correctly but now it has those methods built in.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://www.marxtar.com

Register for our upcoming LANDesk Enhancements Webinar Series

• 7. Re: how can i create a null-share-session?
                      Rookie

ahh ok! that was the point i was missing all the time! ty!