Apparently this was a bug that should be fixed in a upcoming MCP, if new ones are released before SP3.
Just to make sure, did you have a case created on this so internally it can be officially tracked and logged against the defect count? This is very important to make sure we are fully aware of the impact bugs like this have on our customers. Based on the information you're providing I'm guessing it came from support, but I just want to make sure.
Yes, I did log a case with support and worked with them. I supplied some dump files I was able to grab using procdump from sysinternals. Apparently engineering was able to see the ssue from the dumps.
From what I understand there is now a fix available for this.
Contact LANDesk support for it.
It would be great if some of these defects were documented somewhere so we could see engineering are working on a fix, rather than troubleshoot the problem for days on our end only to see that it is being worked on.
We also had the same sdistscript.exe crash issue and we deployed the patch mentioned in this thread (got the patch details from LANDesk support). And after installing it, we observed that all LANDesk tasks with Policy delivery method are failing to start.
We are following-up with LANDesk support on this issue.