7 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2012 3:04 PM by Jawad.Butt

Help needed creating image for Win7 64Bit

Apprentice

I am using LANDesk 9.0 SP2 and have created several images of Windows 7 32-bit computers, but am having trouble creating a 64bit version using imagex. I have loaded a computer from scratch with 64bit and have run the updates. No other software has been installed. I am using the same image capture script that I used for the 32 bit images but it will not work. I have copied the OSD log below. I am not using HII yet, and have an image for the two different models that we use.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

"Machine","CbaStatus","ExitCode","Duration","Begin","End","Command"

"78ACC0BA554A","OK",0,0:00:00,6/2/2011 2:18:11 PM,6/2/2011 2:18:11 PM,"WINPE, TIMEOUT=1800"

"78ACC0BA554A","OK",5,0:00:01,6/2/2011 2:18:11 PM,6/2/2011 2:18:12 PM,"diskpart /s X:\LDClient\rmvol.txt"

"78ACC0BA554A","OK",230227968,0:00:03,6/2/2011 2:18:12 PM,6/2/2011 2:18:15 PM,"ldrun drvmap.exe smu\landesk password I: """\\HWLANDesk\ldmain""", STATUS FACILITY=3513"

"78ACC0BA554A","OK",230227968,0:00:00,6/2/2011 2:18:15 PM,6/2/2011 2:18:15 PM,"ldrun drvmap.exe smu\landesk password H: """\\HWLANDesk\ldmain""", STATUS FACILITY=3513"

"78ACC0BA554A","OK",0,0:00:02,6/2/2011 2:18:15 PM,6/2/2011 2:18:17 PM,"ldrun sdclient /f /o /dest="X:\LDClient\assvol.txt" /p="http://192.168.10.83/landesk/files/assvol.txt", STATUS"

"78ACC0BA554A","OK",0,0:00:00,6/2/2011 2:18:17 PM,6/2/2011 2:18:17 PM,"ldrun tokreplw X:\LDClient\assvol.txt partition=2"

"78ACC0BA554A","OK",5,0:00:10,6/2/2011 2:18:17 PM,6/2/2011 2:18:27 PM,"diskpart /s X:\LDClient\assvol.txt"

"78ACC0BA554A","OK",1,0:00:00,6/2/2011 2:18:27 PM,6/2/2011 2:18:27 PM,"cmd /c del /f /q C:\boot.wim"

"78ACC0BA554A","ERR_Fail",-1917190146,0:00:01,6/2/2011 2:18:27 PM,6/2/2011 2:18:28 PM,"ldrun RunBatch -1 h:\osd\imaging imagex.exe /compress fast /capture C:  i:\osd\images\C0BA554A.wim "Drive C", STATUS FACILITY=3513, SYNC, TIMEOUT=3600"

; "Job Complete","0 Done","1 Failed","0 Off","0 Unknown"

• 1. Re: Help needed creating image for Win7 64Bit
          Apprentice

One other thing…is that I have the script set to image partition 2. When installing Win7, it creates a 100MB partition at the beginning of the drive, and then the 'C' partition. If I set the script to image partition 1 it will work, but it will only image the 100MB partition that the Win7 installer created.

• 2. Re: Help needed creating image for Win7 64Bit
            EMiranda Expert

In WinPE without running FixWindows, Your windows partition is "Drive D"

If that doesnt work,

Take out the reboot in your OSD script so you can troubleshoot after it fails.

After it fails, try running diskpart and list out the volumes and see if there is even a Drive D available, because I see one of the commands in the OSD script is "diskpart /s X:\LDClient\rmvol.txt" and i believe that removes all the volumes before you started your imagex capture.

you can also add this switch to the end of your imagex command to get more info.

/logfile x:\filename.log

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Help needed creating image for Win7 64Bit
              Apprentice

EMiranda, Thanks for the reply. The computer never gets to the reboot option. It would fail and 'freeze' and never seemed to run any of the script. I did look at the hard drive with DiskPart, and found that the C: drive was actually the 3rd partition. I changed the script to image this partition and it worked as expected. Unfortunately, when I apply this image to a computer, I get the "BOOTMGR is missing" error. I have tried repairing the system, but when I do, I get another error of "The version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disk that is compatible with this version of Windows." The thing is, I am using the same disk that I used to load the computer in the first place.

Any ideas?

• 4. Re: Help needed creating image for Win7 64Bit
                EMiranda Expert

It sounds to me like you are not creating the partitions correctly when you are doing the deploy.  Are you trying to deploy both partitions? (system reserved and C:)

• 5. Re: Help needed creating image for Win7 64Bit
                  Apprentice

I think your right, but then how do I deploy both partitions, or set the computer to boot from this partition. After I have deployed the image, according to DiskPart, the computer only has one partition on the hard drive, which is the OS partition.

I think that my problem occurred when I tried to create the image. The image that I am using only contains the OS partition. When I try to create the image from my original system, the only way that I can get it to work, is if I change the script to capture the 3rd partition, which contains the OS. If I try to leave the script set to default, (the first partition) then the script runs but the image is only 9MB, which I believe is only the first partition and this process only takes about 2 minutes to complete. It will not pick up the second or third partitions. If I set the script to partition 2, then I get the results above.

I am using the same options on the image and deploy scripts that I used on a 32Bit system, which works with no problems. Its only when I try to do this on a 64Bit system that I am having problems.

Original computer set up before image

Partition 1  System which is 100MB

Partition 2  Reserved which is 124MB

Partition 3  Primary which is 465GB

• 6. Re: Help needed creating image for Win7 64Bit
                    EMiranda Expert

Partition 1  System which is 100MB

Partition 2  Reserved which is 124MB

Partition 3  Primary which is 465GB

it is odd that you have two 100MB partitions. Are you sure that is how it is on your 32-bit image?

A normal flat load of Win7, you would have:

Partition 1  System Reservered which is 100MB

Partition 2  Primary which is 465GB

Not sure how or where Partition 2 is coming into play.

But this is overview of how I do it (with the system reserved partition in tact)

Boot up into WinPE and list out your volumes to see what the acurate letters vs partition are.

diskpart
                    select disk 0
                    list volume

Capture

I capture the system reserved partition, then the boot partition:

Run Imagex /compress fast /capture c: h:\win7_64_sr.wim "My System Reserved Partition"

Run Imagex /compress fast /capture d: h:\win7_64_base.wim "My Windows Partition"

Deploy

Create a diskpart script to create the partitions again on your blank drive

in the diskpartscript.txt

Select disk 0
                    Clean
                    Create partition primary size=100
                    Select partition 1

assign letter=c
                    Active
                    Format fs=ntfs quick
                    Create partition primary
                    Select partition 2

assign letter=d
                    Format fs=ntfs quick
                    Exit

run the diskpart script,  diskpart /s diskpartscript.txt

run your deploy imagex actions

Run ImageX /apply h:\win7_64_sr.wim 1 c:
                    Run ImageX /apply h:\win7_64_base.wim 1 d:

Then let the rest your OSD script finish, which does FixWindows.exe, etc..

• 7. Re: Help needed creating image for Win7 64Bit
                      Apprentice

I know this is an old post but just in case someone else comes looking for solution...

one of the things you might want to double check is the WIM file. In my case, i ran the same commands as EMiranda but then soon realized the mistake i made.

When you capture the image, you cannot capture two different drives with the same command, you have to run it this way...

Run Imagex /compress fast /capture c: h:\win7_64_sr.wim "My System Reserved Partition"

Run Imagex /compress fast /APPEND d: h:\win7_64_base.wim "My Windows Partition"

This would append the partition and now you can use /apply 1 C: and /apply 2 D:

You can also use imagex /info win7_64_base.wim to see how many indecies it has (should be two ... one for system 100MB, and other for data)

hope it helps ...