12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 2:46 PM by AsifB

Wake On LAN Issue

scots Apprentice

We were previously running LDMS 8.8 on Windows Server 2003, and decided to start using WOL.  We started off trying to go the route of using an MDR to send out WOL, but couldn't get a success rate high enough to satisfy our management.  One issue is that we have several small "remote" sites that only have a few PCs (some with only one or two PCs), and if all the PCs are powered off there's nothing that can be used as an MDR for the location.  After many talks with LANDesk and our network guys, we decided to go the route of allowing direct broadcast on our network.  To minimize security risks, our network guys set it up to allow the direct broadcast traffic to be sent only from our Core server and only one-way (out from our Core).  This worked great, and we could power on PCs all across the network with a standard WOL "magic packet" with no issues in scheduled tasks and via right-click if we just wanted to power up an individual machine.  It worked great and very reliably for quite a while.

Fast forward to now.  We've upgraded our Core to all new everything...new server hardware, LDMS 9.0 SP2, and Windows Server 2008 R2...and WOL has quit functioning.  No changes have been made to our network.  I worked with our network guys to test, and after capturing and analyzing the traffic our network guys are saying that the WOL "magic packet" is now being sent as a broadcast to "the entire world" rather than as a direct broadcast only to the subnet of the location of the PC (or PCs).  Our firewall will not allow a broadcast out to everything, so it's blocking this.  We initially thought this was an issue with LANDesk and possibly some change in 9.0 SP2, but when I contacted support they insisted that nothing had been changed from 8.8 to 9.0 as far as WOL goes.

I then started plunking around on Google and have found some things, but nothing that has helped our situation.  It was all WOL related, but none of it specifically involved/mentioned LANDesk as the WOL tool.

The first thing I found mentioned the Windows Firewall that's included with Windows Server 2008 R2.  The person that was having WOL issues mentioned that he had turned the firewall off, but after experimenting found that it was still blocking things even though it was "off".  He turned it back on and then changed the settings to allow all incoming and outgoing traffic, and then WOL "magic packets" started working for him.  I had turned off the Windows Firewall on our Core, so I turned it back on and set it to allow all traffic as this person said he had done.  This had no effect on getting our WOL working again.

Next I found a few mentions of WOL "magic packets" not working properly on Windows Server 2008 R2, and speculation that it has something to do with 2008 R2 being a 64-bit OS because these same people had no issues with it working from machines with a 32-bit OS (Windows XP, Server 2003, etc).  One thing I found on this subject mentioned finally getting WOL to work on 2008 R2 via a Command Line utility, but all the other things I found that suspected 2008 R2 being a 64-bit OS as the culprit had not found a way to get WOL working.  I don't really see using a separate Command Line utility as a great option for us (if it works...I haven't tried it).

I'm curious if anyone else on here is using Windows Server 2008 R2 and having any luck using LANDesk (or any other WOL tool) to send out the WOL "magic packet" rather than using an MDR.  I've tried using a WOL "magic packet" tool from SolarWinds, and it isn't working either.  This same SolarWinds tool did work on our old LDMS 8.8/Server 2003 server.

• 1. Re: Wake On LAN Issue
          Apprentice

Hi Scott

When you got this up and running on 8.8 did you change the default WoL port number from 0 to something else in LANDesk? Are you using the same port on your 9.0SP2 implementation and have the router configs been updated for your new server?

• 2. Re: Wake On LAN Issue
            scots Apprentice

I had changed the port from 0 to 7, which is a default WOL port.  The new server was also changed to port 7.  The router did not need to be updated.  We transferred the same IP address over from the old server to the new server, and the configs in the router are by IP address.

• 3. Re: Wake On LAN Issue
              Apprentice

Sounds interesting.

Here's a troubleshooting flow diagram  -  http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-9303

• 4. Re: Wake On LAN Issue
                Apprentice

Can you wake up a machine on the same subnet as the LANDesk server (from the LANDesk server)?

• 5. Re: Wake On LAN Issue
                  scots Apprentice

I can wake up anything in the same building as the Core because any traffic within this building is not going across our firewall.  Our firewall is blocking the WOL from going out because it's now being sent out as a network-wide broadcast to the "entire world" rather than as a direct broadcast only to the subnet of the PC (or PCs) we're trying to power up.  Direct broadcast traffic is allowed through our firewall one-way only from the Core out.  Network-wide broadcast to everything is not allowed through our firewall and is blocked.  The standard WOL "magic packet" should be sent out as direct broadcast, and this is how it worked on our old LDMS 8.8/Server 2003 Core.  Our new LDMS 9.0/Server 2008 R2 Core is sending network-wide broadcast instead of direct broadcast for some reason.  Our network guys have monitored the traffic while I've attempted WOL, and have verified through their network capture that it's sending network-wide broadcast instead of the direct broadcast that it should be sending.

• 6. Re: Wake On LAN Issue
                    MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Just to help with testing, I've attached a copy of the WoL utility we call in our Wake-On-WAN product. It is a commandline tool that will allow you to specify the MAC, Subnet, and port for the WoL to be sent to/on.

Usage : wolcmd MAC IPADDRESS SUBNETMASK PORT

Example : wolcmd 009027a322fc 195.188.159.20 255.255.255.0 7

Might just be useful as an additional test to see if it is the server or if it is LANDesk.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://www.marxtar.com

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

• 7. Re: Wake On LAN Issue
                      Apprentice

Hi Scot

I would be inclined to agree with you that something has changed. Can you let me have your email address pls?

• 8. Re: Wake On LAN Issue
                        scots Apprentice

I believe it's something with Windows Server 2008 R2.  I've already tried a command line WOL utility and a WOL utility from SolarWinds from the Core, and those aren't working either.  I've found a few things through Google where other people were having issues with WOL working on Windows Server 2008 R2, but none mentioned a solution (if they even found one).

• 9. Re: Wake On LAN Issue
                          Apprentice

Since you can wake up locally this would indicate that Windows 2008 R2 isn't causing this. I have a couple of things you could try away from a secondary WoL tool if you want to let me have your email I can email you and explain (this will include a couple of attachments - main reason for asking for your email). Or a phone number?

• 10. Re: Wake On LAN Issue
                            scots Apprentice

The reason I can wake up locally is because anything local doesn't go through our firewall.  The WOL is being sent out, but it's being sent as network-wide broadcast rather than directed broadcast.  Our firewall allows direct broadcast but blocks network-wide broadcast.  WOL should be sent out as directed broadcast.  Instead of sending the WOL magic packet via direct broadcast only to the subnet that the PC (or PCs) are located on, it's sending a network-wide broadcast to every single subnet on our network.  Our network guys have proven this by capturing and analyzing the traffic.  They've also temporarily allowed network-wide broadcast and I've been able to wake up PCs when they did this.  Since it appears to be affecting all of the WOL tools I've tried, I'm guessing something is occurring at an OS level that's changing/converting the directed broadcast traffic to network-wide broadcast.

My email is scot.b.scheuring at nccourts.org

• 11. Re: Wake On LAN Issue
                              scots Apprentice

I think I may have fixed our WOL, but not a definite yet.  I had found something somewhere the other day about IPv6 causing issues with WOL, and IPv6 is setup by default in Server 2008 R2.  One of the things I had done earlier was go into the properties of the network adapter and uncheck the “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)” option.  Apparently doing just this doesn’t completely disable IPv6 functionality, as I found this today on Microsoft’s site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852

I clicked on the Fix It buttons to disable IPv6, and so far I’ve powered on 7 different PCs in 4 different locations.  There’s one location where I've been unable to power on any PCs at all, so I’m not sure if that’s just a site issue or what.  I sent an email to one of our network guys and pinged him about it, and am going to try a few other locations.

• 12. Re: Wake On LAN Issue
                                Apprentice

Did that link I send you help with this?

I just did a quick trawl and found this - http://eniackb.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-disable-ipv6-in-windows-2008.html

I like some of the FixIt stuff that MS provides but I also like to know what it is doing. The three I looked at from the page you posted add a registry key under parameters called DisabledComponents, this can have a number of different values assigned assigned to it. Problem here is what do all the values actually do? The vlaue shown in the link above turns off all IPv6 on all interfaces, do want to give that a try?

I appreciate you getting back to me and let me know how you get on.