7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2008 4:11 AM by phoffmann

Adding Utilities to DOSPE

Apprentice

I would like to add some DOS utilities (debug, fdisk, etc) to the DOS PE.  At first, I used WinImage to inject the needed files into the ldvboot.img file on the Core server (after backing up the original of course).  That doesn't seem to work, and watching the log file for the PXE Rep Deployment task shows that the file doesn't get copied (at least that I can see).  How do I edit the DOS PE under LDMS 8.7 SP5?

Thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: Adding Utilities to DOSPE
          Employee

The PXE boot images for DOS are these:

\ldmain\landesk\files\bootmenu.1

\ldmain\landesk\files\dosundi.1

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adding Utilities to DOSPE
            Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Just put the files on a network share and then once in DOS PE map a

drive to that share.

• 3. Re: Adding Utilities to DOSPE
              Apprentice

Thanks muchly for the replies.  Is it possible to increase the size od the se images?

• 4. Re: Adding Utilities to DOSPE
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

It's better not to clog up the boot-image unnecessarily - it's far better to map to a share (which is a simple additional commandline).

As a reminder - if you want to break out into DOS, you can do this easily with adding the following command-line to a script:

""

REMEXEC##=command

""

I usually have a "Break to DOS..." script with just this command specifically for debugging purposes.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 5. Re: Adding Utilities to DOSPE
                  Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Yes but it is hard and you end up spending days testing a playing with memory management.

As I stated before:

Just put the files on a network share and then once in DOS PE map a drive to that share.

• 6. Re: Adding Utilities to DOSPE
                    Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I really want to stay away from having to manage DOS network drivers, which is why I have been avoiding the mapped network drive route.  Is there a way to build DOS 16 bit functionality into the WinPE image?  Can you expand on the "break out to DOS" method of scripting?

Thanks,

Dan

• 7. Re: Adding Utilities to DOSPE
                      phoffmann SupportEmployee

You can do everything you need to do through REMEXEC##=... usage in WinPE - mapping drives and so on - just have a look at an OSD script.

While you CAN get a DOS-console up you can NOT "break out" into DOS in the same way. The reason it works in DOS is because DOS is not a multi-task OS - it does one thing at a time. If you tell XP to launch a CMD-window, it opens it and is quite happy for you to run NOTEPAD or OUTLOOK on the side, isn't it? Same with WinPE.

The easier thing might be here for you to think through what you REALLY want to acheive, and then we can help out with that. It's better to state your goal rather than "I have a problem with X" because we might be able to give you better ways to acheive your goal.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.