9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 6:45 PM by Catalysttgj

Cannot remove software

fchrappah Apprentice

I am trying to remove lightningfax client from a group of pc's and I am getting "task queued at client for execution". The job just sits there and nothing happens. I am using the uninstall option and the command is "msiexec “LightningFAX 8.2.0.73.msi” REMOVE=ALL /x /quiet /norestart". The vendor gave me the command . Any help?

• 1. Re: Cannot remove software
          fchrappah Apprentice

I am trying to remove lightningfax client from a group of pc's and I am getting "task queued at client for execution". The job just sits there and nothing happens. I am using the uninstall option and the command is "msiexec “LightningFAX 8.2.0.73.msi” REMOVE=ALL /x /quiet /norestart". The vendor gave me the command . Any help?

• 2. Re: Cannot remove software
            mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Have you installed the latest MCP's?

We had taskqueue issues but these solved it

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-22561

Note, in most cases there are client side patches that need to be install as well, you will see those if you import the file as explain on the page linked

• 3. Re: Cannot remove software
              fchrappah Apprentice

Well, I have been able to remove and install other apps and no issues. Also the updates have been applied and still getting issues. Maybe the command is not working well remotely. I run the command locally without the quiet  and no user interaction command and it works. I need a command that will work remotely and silently.

• 4. Re: Cannot remove software
                Catalysttgj Expert

I'm not sure if this will solve the problem for you, but you might want to consider substituting the actual GUID code in place of the msi file name.

So it would look something like - msiexec /qn /x {GUID CODE HERE} then following with the rest of the switches.

You can find out the proper GUID by using ORCA to open a copy of the msi file, and then searching for PRODUCTCODE. It could be that the uninstall isn't working through landesk due to a pathing issue that it doesn't know where the msi file is exactly. By using the GUID code for the product the OS will figure it out automagically for you. This is how we do all of our uninstalls. Seems to work pretty well for us. Additionally, you won't need to send the msi file in the package either, since the GUID productcode will take care of it. Though, depending on what the package type you're using, you might need to convert it to a simple batch file instead.

Hopefully that will help ya, otherwise probably some problem with one of the other switches maybe. You could try a simpler uninstall string as a test, like just /qn and /x, and that's it, and see where that takes it.

Good luck!

• 5. Re: Cannot remove software
                  mrspike SSMMVPGroup

You can also get the GUID by looking in the registry of a machine that has it install under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Also, Dameware NT Utilities, which I love, will let you find it easily by going to Software and opening up the product.

• 6. Re: Cannot remove software
                    Catalysttgj Expert

Provided that the MSI file is handy, I prefer the orca method since its much much faster than trying to remotely view a registry on a machine. Regedit is too slow, and plus you have to step through each and every entry to find the one you want. That's a pain. Must faster to open the msi with orca, hit CTRL-F, type in ProductCode, and within just a few short F3's(find again) and you're right on top of the ProductCode, highlight the field, copy.. bam.. on the clipboard, and ready to roll. Very true that you can get it other ways (and everyone working packages should learn all these methods for sure), but last time i checked Dameware costs money and orca is free.

We use the remote registry method often though, when we don't have the msi file for quick access. We also use that method to collect unknown codes when there might be several for multiple versions. Sometimes its the only way to go.

my 4 cents. cuz 2 cents don't buy what it used to. :-)

• 7. Re: Cannot remove software
                      fchrappah Apprentice

I am now getting failed to download additional files. 

• 8. Re: Cannot remove software
                        mrspike SSMMVPGroup

I do not that need to or should use the "msiexec" in your command option, LANDesk should call that (I think)... so you would just start with the /x

To narrow down your problem, create a .bat or .cmd file to do what you want, test to make sure it works,

Be sure to test it as "local system" not as your user account.

See this: http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2316#comment-1369

If you are using XP, that works great, if using Vista or Win 7, see the comment about psexec from systernals that works.

If you get the .bat file to run successfully, you can use LANDesk to push that out, but I think you are going to find either technical errors in your commands or similar

• 9. Re: Cannot remove software
                          Catalysttgj Expert

You're definitely getting closer, but as James points out, there's a problem here. When you use an MSI package, you have to point to the MSI file for the package to work, and that makes putting the GUID code in the parameters line redundant, so really its the wrong choice of package.

If it were me, i'd start with a dos batch package. i'd put one line in the batch package that does everything you need.

MSIEXEC /QN /X "%PRODUCTCODE%" (rest of switches)

Save this batch file, and then build a dos batch package in landesk, and point it to your batch file. That's really all you'll need.

The MSI package method is good for deployments where you need to include the MSI, so mainly for installs. Its obviously designed to make it easy to use MSI's, but with a simple uninstall, you hardly need it, since the only thing that is needed is the productcode. Having said all this, I'm only going by our own experience with LANDesk and what works well for us. There's all sorts of ways to do a thing with this tool, but getting consistent results usually means sticking to predictable processes. Following a KISS model, I like to strip out any unnecessary elements.