3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2011 9:33 PM by Catalysttgj

Detecting whether software is installed

pacificmags Rookie

My scenario is this

I have Macs with a mix of Endpoint Protection 11 and Symantec Antivirus 10 installed.

I want to be able to write a query or in some other fashion, detect which Macs don't have Endpoint protection installed.

I have written a query that looks up which Macs have the old version of Symantec Antivirus

I have a package that will remove that old version from which I can create a Scheduled Task and apply the query to that task.

My problem is this: Once the old versions of Symantec Antivirus have been removed, my query becomes useless because there is no longer any old products for the query to detect.

How can I tell LANDesk to find all Macs without Endpoint installed?

Thanks for any assistance

• 1. Re: Detecting whether software is installed
          mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Modiy or copy your query to check for "not like" for the file name, or service you are looking for.

Beware though, if you add the name of item your looking for to the columns and use Not Like, it will mess up your results

• 2. Re: Detecting whether software is installed
            pacificmags Rookie

Unfortunately I'd already tried the "not like" option in a query, all that happens is that LanDesk freaks out and has to be force quit.

Any other ideas?

• 3. Re: Detecting whether software is installed
              Catalysttgj Expert

Your query for this should be totally simple. Now, I don't know where Mac software comes under in the database as we don't have any macs managed in our system yet, but as an example for a windows system a query to find a machine that does not have a piece of software would look like this:

"Computer" . "Software" . "Add or Remove Programs" . "Program". "Name" <> "Endpoint Protection 11"

For the last bit above, make sure its exact match for the program name to what it shows up as in the system. I was just typing this as an example. Really, you should just select it in the list to avoid making a typo. We can really make much harder work of making queries when we try too hard.

Thats it. Thats all you need. Do not modify the outout column set to include anything wild. Just follow a K.I.S.S. rule.

For column output, just use devicename or display name, and thats it. Don't get fancy and try to add anything too detailed and you should be fine

Using <> works great for me. I avoid "not like" almost as much as i avoid "like". Those are funky things depending on what you're doing.

Hope that helps ya! Good luck.