3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2011 7:00 AM by karenpeacock

Knowledge Results Order

JulianWigman Expert

Hi,

I think the answer is going to be no,  but does anyone know if it is possible to affect the sort order or the result set returned by a KB search in 7.4?

We are searching for a particular string and whilst it finds matches OK,  there could be a few pages worth so would be nice that the results (seemingly having the same relevance) could be returned in some sort of order; eg maybe in Ref # order or maybe by date created....

Any ideas?

Julian

• 1. Re: Knowledge Results Order
          karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi Julian

The order of results should be the number of matches that it finds in the knowledgeable article text and collections.  For example "the printer has fallen on another printer" would appear higher in the results list than "how can I make my printer make the tea" if you are searching on the phrase printer.

I wrote a document about this in Verity but some of this article isn't quite right for 7.4 so I will have a play around and see if I can write something for Lucene:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-7014

Best wishes

Karen

• 2. Re: Knowledge Results Order
            JulianWigman Expert

Karen,

OK, but if you search on "Printer" and there are 200 matches that all find just one instance in the search fields but you know it was created in the last month how can you find without trawling through all 200?

The actual query arose because an Analyst here is search for a specific article  "KB\123456".  Lots of matches will be returned but they know the knowledge also fixed a similar Incident last week. 

Sounds like an enhancement request to allow some sort of result sorting.

J

• 3. Re: Knowledge Results Order
              karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi Julian

When I was an analyst I always used knowledge search when I didn't know the article I wanted (so I could search on some phrases and the KBS would search through multiple attributes for these phrases) but used a prompted article query when I knew there was a specific article that I wanted to find (as I knew what attributes I wanted to filter or sort on).  But that's just me.

Yes it would need an enhancement request if you want KBS to behave more like a query.

Best wishes

Karen