3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 8:54 AM by EMiranda

Windows 7 activation popup.

jvhooijdonk Apprentice

Hi all,

After restoring a image back to a PC it starts complaining that it whats to be activated. This is happening before sysprep /generalize is run by provisioning, so at first boot. The image is build and shutdown in the audit mode. There are no errors during the provisioning script.

By the way, the image is not activated when build, we use KMS and i assumed that that was not needed(?).

I also modified the registry HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\Activation\NotificationDisabled to 1, but without any result.

I have attached my script files. Anyone a idea where to look for this?

• 1. Re: Windows 7 activation popup.

Try adding <SkipRearm>0</SkipRearm> to your sysprep.  If you are using WSIM, you would add to generalize > x86_Microsoft-Windows-Security-SPP_neutral.

Description of SkipRearm:

SkipRearm specifies whether to reset the Windows® licensing state when you generalize a computer.

"Specifies that the Windows licensing state will be restored to the  original, out-of-box licensing state, and that licensing settings are  restored to their defaults."

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Windows 7 activation popup.

Maybe I am confused with what you're saying, but I use cscript to activate windows for me on every build. I JUST wrote up something on my blog about how to get it working :

• 3. Re: Windows 7 activation popup.

ideally you would want to do both.

I believe that since there was no <SkipRearm>0</SkipRearm> in the sysprep, since the grace period was not reset, syprep immediatly threw up a pop up stating that the machine needed to be activated, before processing the rest of the unattend.xml.

by setting the skiprearm to 0, at least the first intial pass gets set to 30 days and a fresh out of box experience.

then later you can add the scripts to force activation, since he said he was using kms, the command lines would change a little bit, like this:

cscript C:\Windows\System32\Slmgr.vbs -skms %KMSSERVERNAME%:1688
              cscript C:\Windows\System32\Slmgr.vbs -ato