10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2011 6:42 PM by Jared Barneck

PXE Issues between two locations

I apologize the subject line is so vague.  Here is what I am dealing with.  We have our main location set up with a LANDesk server and one PXE rep.  We had just purchased a new building and our network engineers had set them up.  They are using a different IP Address range along with IP Gateway but the subnet is the same as our main location.  Problem is - we cannot get PXE to work from the new location.  Will I have to set up a LANDesk server at the new location or should there be a way we can get this location to talk back to our main location where our LANDesk server / PXE rep resides??

Side note - we did try deploying a REP to the other location but it still doesn't work.

• 1. Re: PXE Issues between two locations

For your client to be able to talk to the pxe rep, they both have to be on the same gateway.  You should be able to do a query for existing machine and look for default gateway address or subnet broadcast address.  Or just create a bootable cd that way you don'thave to depend on pxe rep if your network are too diverse.

• 2. Re: PXE Issues between two locations

I figured it was something like that.  I knew they had the same subnet but the gateway is different.  So,  the only other solution than using a boot disc is to have a LANDesk server set up at that location?

• 3. Re: PXE Issues between two locations

You just need to make a machine at the new location a pxe rep.  If you don't have any machine available at the new location, you can build one at your current main location, make it a pxe rep, relocate the machine to the new location, do a full inventory scan with /sync option.  Then it will become the pxe rep for the new location.

Or just use pxe boot cd.

• 4. Re: PXE Issues between two locations

Yeah, we tried that but I don't think we waited long enough for it to SYNC, therefor it didn't work.  I will give it another shot and we can go from there.

Thanks again for your help.

• 5. Re: PXE Issues between two locations
                  LANDeskWizrd SSMMVPGroup

Have you put in an IP Helper on your switch to allow the pxe request to make it back to your core? In order for the request to make it back, you need an IP Helper.

• 6. Re: PXE Issues between two locations

No, we have not put a IP Helper on the switch.  Thanks for the info, we will do this and I will be post my results.

Thanks again everyone.

• 7. Re: PXE Issues between two locations
                      joebaggadonuts Apprentice

Here is what we did to use PXE reps all over the Enterprise (3 States)

You may not need to go to this length to get what you are talking about accomplished, but I can assure you that what you are trying to do will work. I found that our networking staff blocks all broadcast traffic (including WoL) so we had to go to XDDs and Preferred Servers with AMT in order to wake up peers "remotely". All of the things I mention are outlined in the LANDesk Management Suite 9.0 User's Guide. That guide is very handy! I dropped it onto my iPad and I refer to it daily.

1. Created an XDD Client and placed it on a Windows 7 32 bit PC (I suppose that XP would work too).

2. Loaded all of the pathes, fixes, endpoint security - what have you - on the box and added the LANDesk agent we created in 1.

3. Sent the device via courier to the location (our remote techs are at these locations) for deployment.

4. Once on the WAN I elevated the device(s) to PREFERRED SERVER status within LANDesk

5. Set up Replication to these devices (this is a job all by itself - but it is very handy once working)

6. Configure an OSD folder on the core for replication and on the Servers we sent out - set replication to "Mirror"

7. Promote the device(s) to PXE rep within their respective broadcast domains

8. Schedule for replication every 7 days so that images can be managed from a single directory at the replication source

9. Configure OSD for the image(s) we use and set up the menues for HII over the appropriate PXE rep

Once this is all in place technicians can use the same image to install and setup a new device at any of our service centers across the WAN and not apply pressure to the bandwidth. All of the images come to them at night and they image within their own subnet. We did not setup any helpers or what have you. I am not saying that they are not supposed to be used, simply that in our model they are not. Although each PXE rep provides the same experience to a technician imaging a device they are all independent of one another AND since they are preferred servers we get to use them for deployment of patches to associates within their brodacast domain and for all of the new systems we roll out. No need to go back to the core. No need to have another core. just make certain that the replication takes place and it all hums along.

Automation is very special ...

• 8. Re: PXE Issues between two locations
                        LANDeskWizrd SSMMVPGroup

Yeah an IP helper is going to be needed since you are crossing switches and vlans. This is the only way the pxe traffic is going to know where to go unless you add a pxe helper to every single vlan.

• 9. Re: PXE Issues between two locations

Thanks for all the suggestions gentlemen - it is much appreciated.

• 10. Re: PXE Issues between two locations
                            Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

I think we need more information about your network.

You have two sites:

Subnet X              Subnet X

{ Site 1 } ------------- { Site 2 }

That is much too generic of a description to really provide some solid consulting advice.

What is in-between the two sites? (routers, switches, firewalls, etc...)

You mention that they are on the same IP ranges but you don't mention if those are private ranges or not.  Often when two companies merge, they may use the same private networks, such as 192.168.0.x/24 and so they NAT in between so they appear to be on the same subnet, but they are on two completely different broadcast domains and use routing and NAT to communicate.

A more detailed picture would make it obvious what needs to be done.  For example...

192.168.0.x/24                          192.168.0.x/24

{ Site 1 } -------- NAT/Firewall --------- Leased Line ------- NAT/Firewall ------- { Site 2 }