1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2011 1:58 PM by demegui

Creating a Windows PE image capture

Apprentice

Hello,

The core server is on windows2003

I have LanDesk 9.0.2

Im trying to Install a Windows Image to my client.

Those are my steps

1.-  I went to tools|distribution|OS deployment

2.-  I did right-click on “All OSD Script” and click “New Windows PE configuration”

3.-  I put a name ImgCapWinPE and followed all the steps and choose  file that LanDesk use to demonstrations

\\CoreServerName\ldmain\osd\imagew 2\imagew.exe

4.-  After that a I scheduled the image Capture Script

5.-  I dragged the device to the schedule task that I have recently created.

6.-  I did “Start Now”.

7.-  A “Custom Job Processing ” Windows appears

8.-  After few minutes my client started to restart

9.-  The firt time on my client I saw it was looking for and IP address but the network  driver was no working (blak screem and white letters)

the process never finished. And show me the landesk screem (landesk wallpaper of the winsows PE image)

10.- After that I added the network driver like this :

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-8091

11.- when I tried to do the same thing I saw  step 7 and step 8   but after that on my client screem I saw an windows error like this.

windows boot manager error 0xc0000001

If you see the link in the step 10 when you add a driver you modify this file

\\CoreServerName\landesk\vboot\boot.wim

Here are my questions

I need to do something else?

Is this how you  can install a system operative to a client?

How I can get the previous boot.wim file?

I Please if someone have some idea, I will be more than happy.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Creating a Windows PE image capture
          Rookie

Here is what I have. I made this document a while back, hope it helps. This document will help you deploy windows 7 using LANDesk.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating a Windows PE image capture
            Apprentice

Thak you.

It will help me a LOT.

But I got some news:

1.- I have to create my PXE Boot menu

2.- I have to set up my PXE representative

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Creating a Windows PE image capture
              Rookie

All you need is in this document, the creating of the PXE up to deployment via LANDesk.

• 4. Re: Creating a Windows PE image capture
                MrGadget Expert

It sounds like you did everything right but when you followed the doc in step 10 did you use the vista drivers?

With ver9 of Landesk management it uses a Winpe ver 2.1 which is built around Vista and so you must use vista nic drivers even though you are imaging or captureing a image of Windows 7 computer.

In step 11 you may have gotten that message because the manipulation that the OSD script does while capturing a image, it can screw up your computers boot partition if it fails for some reason which it did in step 7 and 8.

• 5. Re: Creating a Windows PE image capture
                  Apprentice

MrGadget that was my problem I was very busy with this so  I didnt see your answer  . But that was the problem, the driver.

finally I was able to deploy an OS , its awesome..

But this work well when I use the CAPTURE OSD and WinPE PXE boot., Its create a ile *.TIB  and then DEPLOY.

But when I use sysprep and ghost to create an *.IMG and I try to DEPLOY its not working I get a message like this.

"Parameter  '/apply' found before operation known "

so went to the script file and removed '/apply' but now i have another message

"Invalid Parameter: i:\myFile.IMG"

Any ideas please?

Now Im in this point trying to fix it.

I can use : CAPTURE OSD and WinPE PXE boot  but I woud like to use and *.IMG .

Thanks in advance

• 6. Re: Creating a Windows PE image capture
                    EMiranda Expert

Archi wrote:

MrGadget that was my problem I was very busy with this so  I didnt see your answer  . But that was the problem, the driver.

But this work well when I use the CAPTURE OSD and WinPE PXE boot., Its create a ile *.TIB  and then DEPLOY.

But when I use sysprep and ghost to create an *.IMG and I try to DEPLOY its not working I get a message like this.

"Parameter  '/apply' found before operation known "

Any ideas please?

Now Im in this point trying to fix it.

I can use : CAPTURE OSD and WinPE PXE boot  but I woud like to use and *.IMG .

Thanks in advance

.TBI is associated to ImageW Version 2

.IMG is associated to ImageW Version 1

Make sure you are using the same imaging tool in the drop down menu for "Image Type"

because from what I am seeing you are using two different imaging tools in capture/deploy.

• 7. Re: Creating a Windows PE image capture
                      Apprentice

Hello,

I changed it to ImageW Version 1

and when I deploy it I see a error message :

Parameter '/RN' found before opertation known

Any Ideas pls?

Thanks in advance.

• 9. Re: Creating a Windows PE image capture
                        LANDave SupportEmployee

To clarify, the version #'s of imagew should be the following:

In \Program Files (x86)\landesk\ManagementSuite\osd\imaging:

ImagewV1.jpg

In \Program Files (x86)\landesk\ManagementSuite\osd\imagew 2 :

ImagewV2.jpg

For a good discussion regarding the difference between ImageW V1 and V2, see here:

http://community.landesk.com/support/message/13133#13133

• 10. Re: Creating a Windows PE image capture
                          MrGadget Expert

Archi

It looks like you are mixing images.

Archi said:

MrGadget that was my problem I was very busy with this so I didnt see your answer . But that was the problem, the driver.

But this work well when I use the CAPTURE OSD and WinPE PXE boot., Its create a ile *.TIB and then DEPLOY.

"Parameter '/apply' found before operation known "

In your Capture OSD Script you should choose Symantec as the imaging tool, browse to where your ghost imaging tool is and set it in the first line, then in the second line browse to where you want the image stored and set that line.  It should capure the image as a .gho file.
                          On Deploy Script according to this  "Invalid Parameter: i:\myFile.IMG"  you chose the imagew ver 1 as your imaging tool. Choose Symantec again, then put the path to your .gho image and in second line put the path to your ghost imaging tool. Since Landesk has builtin support for Ghost it all should work. (I have only limited knowledge of ghost and have not used it with Landesk)

• 11. Re: Creating a Windows PE image capture
                            Apprentice

I dont have "ldmain\backup\Service Pack 1" I have ldmain\backup\Service Pack 2

But I did the same that this :

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-11602

And then I played with all the option and I have this results

1.-  Configuration in this page "Image type and path" are:

Select the image type : Landesk ImageW

Enter the UNC path to the desired image, inluding the name of the image : \\CoreServer\images\Win7image.img

Enter the UNC path to the imaging application, including the name of the application : \\CoreServer\ldmain\osd\imaging\imagew.exe

But now I dont see anything, no error ,no windows just the background and the bar with the 3 arrows.

2.- Configuration in this page "Image type and path" are:

Select the image type : <I tried all of them >  Symantec, ImageX, Others

Enter the UNC path to the desired image, inluding the name of the image : \\CoreServer\images\Win7image.img

Enter the UNC path to the imaging application, including the name  of the application : \\CoreServer\ldmain\osd\imaging\imagew.exe

And I got this windows.

windows.png

I crerated my win7image.img whit sysprep and them i used ghost, You can create .gho or a .img file too.

my version for this file imagew.exe  is 1.63

I will be playing with this but if you have any ideas please let me know.

Thank you for your time. I really apreciate it.

• 12. Re: Creating a Windows PE image capture
                              cplatero SupportEmployee

Imagew.exe does not handle images created by Ghost.

If you want to use that image, you'll have to select symantec as the image type and for the tool point to ghost32.exe.

If you want to use Imagew, you'll need to recapture the image from a machine using Imagew.

• 13. Re: Creating a Windows PE image capture
                                MrGadget Expert

You're still using Landesks imagew ver 1. The picture you showed is the switches for imagew ver 1.

First did you Capture your image selecting ghost32 as your imaging tool and made Win7image.img?

If you did then on your deploy choose Symantec 

Then browse to your ghost32.exe imaging tool

Then browse to where you image (Win7image.img ) is.

After you finish with the Deploy script and save.

Do a Advanced edit of the deploy script. See if it shows ghost32 as your imagetool.

If it fails this time Attach your Deploy script file.

• 14. Re: Creating a Windows PE image capture
                                  Apprentice

MrGadget  I tried with symantec. But i cant see anything just the background landesk image

Here is my script.

Thank you.

1 2 Previous Next