7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2008 7:02 PM by puercomal

Custom Scan of a HKCU registry key

Rookie

Is it possible to scan a registry key in the HKCU key?  I have followed the directions located here but have been unsuccessful.  I have been able to scan for a key in the HKLM successfully but not the HKCU.

• 1. Re: Custom Scan of a HKCU registry key
          zman Master

Unfortunately this is not possible using the normal modifications to ldappl - maybe next version. The biggest hurdle is that when it is run under the local system account it will not see HKCU reg key.  You could write a script to accomplish this.

• 2. Re: Custom Scan of a HKCU registry key
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Your main problem is going to be user-context, really.

I would suggest moving your custom stuff to something like HKLM or so, as HKCU is just a plethora of headaches (and that's at the best of times - that would be advice from many hours of trying to come up with a way that'll make sure it'll work fine. The problem is because HKCU is very context sensitive, the amount of things that can go wrong with it (or "wrong" in terms of not picking up data you want) are legion.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 3. Re: Custom Scan of a HKCU registry key
              Rookie

Thanks for clearing this matter up.  I just needed to know if I was missing something.

Ed

• 5. Re: Custom Scan of a HKCU registry key
                Apprentice

Here's what I did, but like you say. It's not so accurate because if the user is not logged in it still creates a lot of inaccuracies. Also, since it does work "enough to get a ball park figure", if anyone has any recommendations on how to streamline this VBS I would really appreciate it! I would like to add more HKCU's to copy to HKLM's in the future so I'm thinking maybe some type of an array?

Option Explicit
                On Error Resume Next
                Dim objShell, strRoot, strModify

' Create the Shell object
                Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

strRoot = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyEnable"
                strModify = objShell.RegRead(strRoot)
                If Not IsEmpty(strModify) then
                strRoot = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\DCJS\LANDesk\Internet Settings\ProxyEnable"
                strModify = objShell.RegWrite(strRoot ,strModify, "REG_SZ")
                End If

strRoot = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\AutoConfigURL"
                strRoot = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\DCJS\LANDesk\Internet Settings\AutoConfigURL"
                strModify = objShell.RegWrite(strRoot ,strModify, "REG_SZ")
                End If

strRoot = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Preferences\DoAging"
                strRoot = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\DCJS\LANDesk\Office\11.0\Outlook\Preferences\DoAging"
                strModify = objShell.RegWrite(strRoot ,strModify, "REG_DWORD")
                End If

strRoot = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Preferences\DoAging"
                strRoot = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\DCJS\LANDesk\Office\12.0\Outlook\Preferences\DoAging"
                strModify = objShell.RegWrite(strRoot ,strModify, "REG_DWORD")
                End If

objShell.Run """C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\LDISCN32.exe""" & "/NTT=pvwap02:5007 /S='pvwap02' /I=HTTP://pvwap02/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /NOUI /NOCD /F /SYNC", 0

strModify = null
                WScript.Quit

===========================================

Then in ldappl3, I check for:

;Outlook AutoArchive keys
                KEY=HKLM,Software\DCJS\LANDesk\Office\11.0\Outlook\Preferences,DoAging,Email - AutoArchive
                KEY=HKLM,Software\DCJS\LANDesk\Office\12.0\Outlook\Preferences,DoAging,Email - AutoArchive
                KEY=HKLM,Software\DCJS\LANDesk\Office\11.0\Outlook\Preferences,DoAging,Custom Data - Email - 2003AutoArchive
                KEY=HKLM,Software\DCJS\LANDesk\Office\12.0\Outlook\Preferences,DoAging,Custom Data - Email - 2007AutoArchive

;MSIE
                KEY=HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,Version,Custom Data - Internet Explorer - Version
                KEY=HKLM,SOFTWARE\DCJS\LANDesk\Internet Settings,AutoConfigURL,Custom Data - Internet Explorer - ProxyAddr
                KEY=HKLM,Software\DCJS\LANDesk\Internet Settings,ProxyEnable,Custom Data - Internet Explorer - ProxyEnable

=====================================

But - my REAL question on this matter... (I'm new!)

Lets say I ran this and it all worked well (which it has for the most part) and then later I decide I do not want my inventory in "Custom Data - Internet Explorer - Version", but I have all these values currently populated in the databse?  How do I purge them?

Best regards,

Rich

• 6. Re: Custom Scan of a HKCU registry key
                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

A good place to put these is into the registry section for LANDesk Custom Fields that way you don't have to update ladappl3.template each time, don't write the entire key into the software section, just give your registry key a descriptive name and populate the value just like the IE version you mention at the end of your post.

If you change your mind later, you need to get rid of the keys themselves on the machines so they won't scan back in (if you use the ld custom fields option) or simply remove the ldappl3.template entry if you don't.  Once that is done you need to delete the unmodeled data in the database and you can do this using LANDesk's DBRepair utility that you can get from LANDesk support.  This will show you unodeled data and you can purge it form the DB - normally used to get rid of corruptions.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 7. Re: Custom Scan of a HKCU registry key
                    Employee

You'd be a lot better off using ldms_client, IMHO.