5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2011 12:55 PM by karenpeacock

formatting Knowledge Articles for end users

Apprentice

I've been looking at Knowledge Management to see if it's something we want to use, but there appears to be no way to format articles for viewing by end users.  The only option when designing a window is to put the Description in an edit box, but then the user would have to scroll through it in the box.  Is this how everyone makes their end users read knowledge articles - in a read-only edit box?  Or am I missing something major here?  I looked at reports, but they only seem to apply to how the list of articles are displayed in query results.

• 1. Re: formatting Knowledge Articles for end users
          karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi Grant

What some customers do is hold the symptoms and causes of the issue in a collection on the article.  These are included into the knowledge index so if someone searches on one of these strings the right article will be presented.  Then the article itself just needs to have minimal information and perhaps an image.  The other option you have is to index documents that are not stored in the Service Desk database such as .pdfs, html, docs etc but they will still be searched from within Service Desk and will drill into if an end user clicks to view them.  For this either an Active Knowledge licence or 7.4 is required.

Best wishes

Karen

• 2. Re: formatting Knowledge Articles for end users
            Apprentice

If you index articles not stored in Service Desk, does that still give you something you can associate with an Incident?  I suspect not.  And that's what I was hoping for, to attach an article to an incident so the end user can try it themselves and report back on whether they still need help or not.

If I can't display the article text in something larger than an edit box, then Knowledge Management isn't suitable for our needs.  We have long articles with step-by-step instructions and lots of screenshots.

• 3. Re: formatting Knowledge Articles for end users

Hi

You can attach documents to the article record or have hyperlinks on them if you prefer your users to view the information this way.  You can then link to the actual article from within an IPC, have the keywords that you want on the article itself, so you can see its reuse rate when you link to it, and query on it still. 

I believe that knowledge management is being considered for some additional features to go on the roadmap so I'd encourage you to raise anything that you'd like to see in it in the future as an enhancement request soon.  Personally I'd like to have a knowledge article designer, a bit like a process designer, but per article so that the end user is presented with a wizard and each answer they give presents them with a different step to follow next.  In my mind it's called a "Troubleshooting Designer" as it would walk end users through the same steps that you would follow when troubleshooting an issue.  Maybe that's overkill for most people though, but I'll raise it as an enhancement in a second anyway - been meaning to.

Best wishes,

Karen

• 4. Re: formatting Knowledge Articles for end users
                Chris_W Expert

I've trying to get knowledge and self service working for sometime and it's not very end user friendly.

I really like the sound of what your saying Karen, giving much more creative control on knowledge as a whole.

This would get my vote.

• 5. Re: formatting Knowledge Articles for end users

Thanks Chris!  Well now that I've posted it in the right place (gah!) you can vote away:

http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/2392

Please do add any extra ideas that you think might be useful to this or create new ideas for knowledge.  They will certainly be properly considered as to whether they are feasible to implement if they get enough votes believe me.

Best wishes

Karen