2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2011 12:31 PM by DanDinolfo

Content Replication Schedules

Apprentice

So I've been using content replication for a bit now.  I've got a total of 20 replicators/prefered servers.  Everything is going great...except one thing.  I am trying to set up the content replication schedule so that content replication only happens at set times.  What I had wanted to do originally was set it such that:

Group A replicated from 10pm to 2am

Group B replicated from 12am to 4pm

Group C replicated from 2am to 6am

Group D replicated from 4am to 8am

The idea was to limit the bandwidth in use at any one point, but give replicators a chance to replicate a little more.  I wanted this schedule to be my M-F schedule, and then open up 12 hour blocks for each group on the weekends to "catch up" if they needed to.  The problem I ran into is massive time drift.  If I for instance start a replication task at 12am, tell it to max out at 4 hours, and then repeat after 1 day, it will replicate:

replicate 12am-4am

wait 1 day

replicate 4am - 8am

wait 1 day

replicate 8am-12pm

wait 1 day

replicate 12pm - 2:30pm (replication caught up).

wait 1 day

replicate 2:30pm-2:50pm

wait 1 day

replicate 2:50pm-6:50pm

etc,

etc,

What I'm left with is what was beautifully orchestrated for one night, only worked for one night.  Is there a way to get a system to replicate every night, at a set time, but only for a certain duration?  I know i can create tasks to trigger the replication, but they seem to run indefinitely.  I don't know if I have to write a script to start/kill the content replication maybe?

• 1. Re: Content Replication Schedules
          ProServices

Hi,

This looks like the sort of time creep that you would see with the local schedular service if you tell it to do an inventory scan (or a vulscan) every 24 Hrs without a time window. The 24hr clock starts from the time the last task completed.. I wonder how this scheduling is actully implemented :-) I must look into this a bit more...

Regards

Ian

• 2. Re: Content Replication Schedules
            Apprentice

It's exactly the same thing.  The difference is that I can set a time window for my inventory (2am - 6am).  I can't do that for Content Replication.  The time window avoids schedule creep.