3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2011 3:10 PM by Taylor

Design help for RMA functionality

Apprentice

I am really at my wits end trying to solve this issue, so any and all help is really, really appreciated.

I have been asked to create a function in LDSD to track Return Merchandise Authorizations/Agreements (RMA).  Much like other organizations, when we receive hardware that is defective, or have a piece of hardware fail that is still covered under warranty, there are specific steps that have to be taken to return and replace the defective hardware.

In our organization different analysts have different responsibilities in processing an RMA and still other analysts need to be notified at specific times during the RMA process.  It is for these reasons, I concluded that a LD Process should be used to provide this functionality since multiple Assignments must be made and automated Reminders are desired.  Creating a new module it is not an option, so I decided to create my process as a Task in the “Incident Management-Incident Task” module.

My question is how can I make this new process (actually a version of the Incident Task object) an optional action in my Incident Process?

Thank you so much!

Taylor

• 1. Re: Design help for RMA functionality
          aparker Employee

Hi,

I am presuming you're happy with the general process design concepts in the first place, so to address your specific question, you just need to go to Process Designer and select the Incident Task processes and create a new one called RMA Task for example. Build the process the way you have described with all of the assignments and reminders and other process steps needed. This will give you the flow you want to follow. Now to deliver this as part of the main Incident process you have a couple of options. The simplest is only available with the more recent versions of LDSD. It is to create an Add Task optional action on the status you require and then change the name of the action in its properties. You would also change the Default Process property to be the RMA Task. This is ok, if you don't already have an Add Task action.

If however you already have an Add Task action, you will need to use a process design technique that I call a 'dummy collection'. By this I mean a collection that allows you to enter data or create something like a task by entering your data intoa form which is then copied to the actual collection by means of an Automatic Action and Value Types. The Automatic Action will do an Add Task with RMA task being created. I have attached a quick example of a similar approach I use in demonstrations.

Hope this helps.

Andy

• 2. Re: Design help for RMA functionality
            aparker Employee

I mean to add that if you take the process link back to the status that you started at, it will be shown as an optional action when running the process. This is because the strict definition of an Optional Action is one that does not change the status of the process. This means it can be process loop as well being added as a property of the status.

Andy

• 3. Re: Design help for RMA functionality
              Apprentice

Thank you Andy!  I am trying your 2nd suggestion since we are using the Add Task action already.