5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2011 2:11 PM by kenblaszak

Windows 7 X64 not completing with provisioning - boots into windows, then can't continue

Rookie

Been reading these forums for a while, but haven't posted until now. I was able to get OSD working with HII through these forums, but using Provisioning isn't working for deploying windows.

I tried using the template provided here, but ImageX was always failing ... it appears that there are no partitions created through the provided provisioning template. I modified the template to use my standard diskpart commands to format the drive. At this point I have accomplished the following:

• formatting the drive works
      • deploying the image works
      • landesk goes through HII and injects the drivers

At this point I would expect the LANDesk client to install, but it doesn't. Windows boots and tries to log in at which time I am told the login/password is incorrect. After putting in the local admin account, windows sits there for a minute and then goes to a black screen and tells me it needs to be rebooted to continue setup.

After it reboots, I try logging in with the local admin and I get a critical stop sound (only this time, because now the sound driver is installed through HII) and I get an error message titled "install windows" and saying 'Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation."

At this point the installation never completes and I am not able to make it into Windows. This is the same image file I am using to successfully deply dozens of PCs through OSD right now. I have also attached a copy of my current Provisioning template. We are using LANDesk 9.

• 1. Re: Windows 7 X64 not completing with provisioning - boots into windows, then can't continue
          EMiranda Expert

kenblaszak wrote:

I get an error message titled "install windows" and saying 'Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation."

I would check the sysprep logs to see what is failing, they are here:

Generalize - %WINDIR%\System32\Sysprep\Panther

Specialize - %WINDIR%\Panther

Setup actions - %WINDIR%\Panther\Unattendgc

might be able to give you a good indication of what is failing.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Windows 7 X64 not completing with provisioning - boots into windows, then can't continue
            Rookie

There were some errors in the logs.

In System32\sysprep\panther\setuperr.log there was an old entry:

2011-06-09 10:29:41, Error      [0x0f0043] SYSPRP WinMain:The sysprep dialog box returned FALSE

That looks like it has been there since my very first sysprep of the machine when I imaged it for OSD.

Windows\Panther was empty

Panther\UnattendGC\setuperr.log had some errors that happened right at the time I was trying to deploy:

2011-07-13 14:48:59, Error                        [audit.exe] Pass has failed status; system is in an invalid state.
            2011-07-13 14:49:00, Error                        [audit.exe] Failed to complete RunSMIPass for auditUser.  Error: [0x8030000C]
            2011-07-13 14:49:00, Error                        [audit.exe] There was an error while processing the unattend pass. Error: [0x8030000C]
            2011-07-13 15:51:30, Error                        [audit.exe] Pass has failed status; system is in an invalid state.
            2011-07-13 15:51:31, Error                        [audit.exe] Failed to complete RunSMIPass for auditUser.  Error: [0x8030000C]
            2011-07-13 15:51:31, Error                        [audit.exe] There was an error while processing the unattend pass. Error: [0x8030000C]

The first line concerns me the most. Am I not supposed to have it in audit mode without the generalize box being manually checked? Those are the settings I used to capture the image originally for OSD with HII and that has been working great on this exact same image.

• 3. Re: Windows 7 X64 not completing with provisioning - boots into windows, then can't continue
              Rookie

Ok, so I took the exact same provisioning template and tried it on Windows 7 32, and lo and behold everything worked. It looks on the Target OS properties I missed that there was a vanilla and X64 option. Even switching the template to X64 though, I am getting the same issue; no LANDesk agent installing for The X64 version and it gets stuck on the first boot into windows as before.

I came across another problem though; on either my 32 or 64 bit template, when I try to configure the LANDesk Agent installation, I get no options for any configuration. When I try to click away from the install agent option, I get an error message (attached: agent - configuration.jpg)  I looked at the XML file (which is the same one attached to my original post), and in there the proper 'Default Windows Configuration' is in there. Even when I delete the agent configuration and try to add a new one, I get the second attached error message (agent - user). I have tried creating a completely new template and when adding the agent part, I keep getting the same username error message with no option to configure.

• 4. Re: Windows 7 X64 not completing with provisioning - boots into windows, then can't continue
                Rookie

Restarting LANDesk got rid of the agent download problem.

I am still unable to get windows 7 64 to deploy though, even though I have now build a completely new image from scratch, didn't update or install anything, and confirmed that it booted properly into audit mode before taking the image. The deployment still failed in the same place.

• 5. Re: Windows 7 X64 not completing with provisioning - boots into windows, then can't continue
                  Rookie

There are separate 32 and 64 bit unattended files. That was my biggest problem. Need to make sure the unattended takes this into account.