1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 2:28 PM by erik.marple

Copy Process - Calculations not copying

Expert

Hi,

We've made a change to a master process that I now want to copy out 4 times for our faculties.

However every time I create a copy none of the calculations are copied across.

And we have a LOT of these. particularly on Notify tickboxes etc.

Any ideas how I can get around having to spend hours recreating them all?

Thanks - Adam.

v7.4

• 1. Re: Copy Process - Calculations not copying
          Expert

Actually - it's hardly taken any time to set these up again so I'll stop moaning.

Might be worth seeing if anyone else gets this issue too though.

Cheers - A.

• 2. Re: Copy Process - Calculations not copying
            ITSMMVPGroup

If the calculations were on existing attributes then DT doesn't recognise there has ben a change.  A bit like if you change the user interface properties on a collection.  You have to do them again on the destination system.

If the calculations were on new attributes that the destination system didn't know about, then the calculations should have been brights acorss given you are using 7.4 and if they didn't, that would be a bug

• 3. Re: Copy Process - Calculations not copying
              Expert

Thanks.

It was actually simply copying an existing process rather than Data Transfer.

Minor thing though.

• 4. Re: Copy Process - Calculations not copying
                Stu McNeill Employee

Hi Adam,

This is actually a known issue - Problem 4893.  it is currently set at a medium priority to be fixed in a future release, if you log this with Support we can get your report of the issue added to the problem record and re-prioritised if required.

The workaround at the moment is to export the process via Design Transfer and re-import it back in.  On importing it you can  choose to "Create new process with modified title" which will create a new copy of the process.  Or you can obviously  just re-add the calculations manually as you've done so far...

• 5. Re: Copy Process - Calculations not copying
                  plazz Apprentice

Still not fixed in 7.7.2 :(

• 7. Re: Copy Process - Calculations not copying
                    ITSMMVPGroup

Only if people report it as an issue.  LD have a fairly simple algorithm for deciding what gets into the list of items to be fixed and the more reports to the support team of this issue, the more likely it is to be addressed

• 8. Re: Copy Process - Calculations not copying
                      plazz Apprentice

You are right, I will report it

• 9. Re: Copy Process - Calculations not copying
                        Expert

Doesn't seem right that we have to vote on which bugs need to be fixed.  If a major feature doesn't work, it should be fixed.  They know people use copy rules or they would be removed.  Even if just the 3 of us report it, it NEEDS to be fixed.  Makes you wonder how many other things are known broken but have not been fixed for a while just because people don't report it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 10. Re: Copy Process - Calculations not copying
                          plazz Apprentice

I could not agree more !! Even if there is a button labeled close which doesn't do anything if you click it, they will only fix it if enough people report it (just an eample) I agree that for some bugs I understand, but for something flagrant as this, it is just not ok to leave it like this.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 11. Re: Copy Process - Calculations not copying
                            ITSMMVPGroup

People don't need to vote on this - they just need report it as a bug.  So just contact support and say you have this issue.

• 12. Re: Copy Process - Calculations not copying
                              Stu McNeill Employee

Hi all,

Just to clarify our sustainment process takes a lot into consideration and isn't just based how many reports it gets.  We review the impact we think the bug will have and the impact it has on those that have reported it among other factors (the "business impact" field on your support incident is very important for this reason).  We review the priority every time it gets reported so the more it is reported the more often it'll go through the process which is one of the factors in determining the priority.

Thanks

Stu

• 13. Re: Copy Process - Calculations not copying
                                ITSMMVPGroup

As an example -I have one process which wasn't that complicated but had a very large number of calculations.  Before I knew that DT was a good workaround, I spent a fair amount of consulting time fixing up this issue on a copy of that process. We couldn't really charge the customer for what was a product issue and so for me, for that process, this was a significant issue. Now for a small process, where I know there is a workaround its a low priority.

Everyone's mileage will vary on the impact, but often times the major part is when you encounter the bug and don't know there is a fix until you contact support.  At that point the time has already been spent.  Just my two penny worth on the value of fixing issues that the careful and patient administrator will come across from time to time, but which have no real commercial impact on LD.

• 14. Re: Copy Process - Calculations not copying
                                  Expert

Glad to hear that impact makes a difference.  I am looking forward to fixed copy rules.  However, at the same time that means that there are lots of bugs that never get fixed.  I know fixing bugs doesn't help sell the product like new features does.  Yet at the same time I think my last 3 upgrades have been because of bug fixes and not new features.  I would like to see one of the quarterly updates be dedicated to bug fixes.  It's really annoying especially with process change errors to have to save every few minutes so you don't loose a lot of work.  Twice over a year apart (and it's still not fixed) I ran lost lots of changes because I added an action to a status that was just removed from the process.  You can't do that or the opposite without saving in between.  So as annoying and time consuming (especially on a test server) as it is, I save often.  I for one would like to see more emphasis on bug fixing than new fewer features that did not come through an ER.

1 2 Previous Next