9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2008 12:45 AM by Leon

WINPE Multi partition image - need reinstal only fiirst partition

Apprentice

We use WinPE imaging tool. I created multi partition image (two partition : first system, second data ) , all works fine OSD script call restall.bat batch file. If I restore image, it restore both patitions. Sometimes we need reinstall only OS , this mean image only system partition, second data partition I want leave unchanged. How I can edit OSD script or batch file to ensure reinstall only first partition ?

• 1. Re: WINPE Multi partition image - need reinstal only fiirst partition
          Employee

The easiest way to do this without making a mess of it is to copy only the OS partition (not the other partition) to another folder. Then create another OSD script and point it to that file. Since there will be only one partition there, the logic that builds the OSD script will create it to restore a single partition.

• 2. Re: WINPE Multi partition image - need reinstal only fiirst partition
            Apprentice

Thank you for advice, I will try it. But I am afraid that this erase both existing partitions on hardrive and create one new partition, am I right ? I need leave second data partition untouched.

• 3. Re: WINPE Multi partition image - need reinstal only fiirst partition
              Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

I think that would wipe the drive and use only one partition.

If you are not replacing the partitions or messing with the partition tables, then you do not want an imaging tool.  Instead you want an archiving tool.

ImageW.exe cannot do what you are asking but any good archiving tool can.

You want a tool that archives and compresses the files files in a partition as well as maintains permission and user settings.

Then on a deploy, you just format the partition without deleting and recreating the the partition, and then extract the archive and all those same files with the same permissions should go down to the cleaned partition.

• 4. Re: WINPE Multi partition image - need reinstal only fiirst partition
                Leon SupportEmployee

ImageW.exe can do this if I understood the question correctly. Since you do not want to restore the data partition you just only need to capture the system partition when you do the capturing. During deploying LANDesk script by default will wipe off all partitions so you can modify the diskpart parameters to keep the partitions and just format the C driver.

When deploying you can tell ImageW.exe to only restore to system partition.

I will attach the sample scripts.

• 5. Re: WINPE Multi partition image - need reinstal only fiirst partition
                  Apprentice

Thank you for advice, but OSD script fails at the command :

REMEXEC26=RunBatch -1  h:\tools imagew.exe /R01N /O i:\BaseC\FPCPNR00.IMG, STATUS FACILITY=3510, SYNC

error log :

"Machine","CbaStatus","ExitCode","Duration","Begin","End","Command"

"MININT-3GFPCPNR","OK",0,0:00:00,19. 3. 2008 15:02:07,19. 3. 2008 15:02:07,"WINPE, TIMEOUT=1800"

"MININT-3GFPCPNR","OK",230227968,0:00:03,19. 3. 2008 15:02:07,19. 3. 2008 15:02:10,"drvmap.exe ld xxxx I: <qt/>
                  Landesk\LDimages<qt/>, STATUS FACILITY=3513"

"MININT-3GFPCPNR","OK",230227968,0:00:00,19. 3. 2008 15:02:10,19. 3. 2008 15:02:10,"drvmap.exe ld xxxx H: <qt/>
                  Landesk\LDimages<qt/>, STATUS FACILITY=3513"

"MININT-3GFPCPNR","OK",0,0:00:01,19. 3. 2008 15:02:10,19. 3. 2008 15:02:11,"diskpart /s h:\BaseC\KeepPartitions.txt"

"MININT-3GFPCPNR","OK",0,0:00:02,19. 3. 2008 15:02:11,19. 3. 2008 15:02:13,"cmd /c format /Y /FS:NTFS /Q /V:C-DRIVE c:"

"MININT-3GFPCPNR","ERR_Fail",-1917386753,0:00:00,19. 3. 2008 15:02:13,19. 3. 2008 15:02:13,"RunBatch -1  h:\tools imagew.exe /R01N /O i:\BaseC\FPCPNR00.IMG, STATUS FACILITY=3510, SYNC"

; "Job Complete","0 Done","1 Failed","0 Off","0 Unknown"

• 6. Re: WINPE Multi partition image - need reinstal only fiirst partition
                    Leon SupportEmployee

You may go to WinPE and do some troubleshooting. Open a command console, type H: and I: to see if the drive map has succeeded. Also use diskpart to check if the partition is correct. Last you may manually execute the imagew.exe with the required parameters.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: WINPE Multi partition image - need reinstal only fiirst partition
                      Apprentice

Thank you Leon,

from comand console its works only with this syntax : "h:\tools\imagew" /r01n /o "i:\BaseC\FPCPNR00.img" , this means paths there must be in quotes, without quotes it does not work. But if I this syntax put in to OSD script it stil does not work see record from error log :

"MININT-3GFPCPNR","ERR_Fail",-1917386754,0:00:00,20. 3. 2008 10:16:04,20. 3. 2008 10:16:04,"RunBatch -1 "h:\tools\imagew.exe" /r01n /o "i:\basec\FPCPNR00.img", STATUS FACILITY=3510, SYNC"

; "Job Complete","0 Done","1 Failed","0 Off","0 Unknown"

I tried all , also too change "\" with space before imagew command, but nothing helps.

But , I created batch file with command : h:\tools\imagew /r01n /o i:\basec\fpcpnr00

and from OSD script runs this batch file, and its works!http://community.landesk.com/support/images/emoticons/mischief.gif! .

I think that would be beter if imagew could be run directly from script.

• 8. Re: WINPE Multi partition image - need reinstal only fiirst partition
                        Apprentice

I tried once more and now it is work directly from script :

REMEXEC26=RunBatch -1 h:\tools imagew.exe /R01N /O i:\BaseC\FPCPNR00.img, STATUS FACILITY=3510, SYNC

I do not know what happened:8} .

• 9. Re: WINPE Multi partition image - need reinstal only fiirst partition
                          Leon SupportEmployee

It should be like you did above. Please see the switches for RunBatch.exe.

RunBatch.exe(WINPE)

This windows program will start a program from a command line in a specific directory.

NOTE

RunBatch.exe waitTime workDirectory executename parameters

Example:RunBatch 500 X:\LDClient PxeMenu dosmenu.cfg

This command will start pxemenu.exe with paramteter dosmenu.cfg at directory X:\LDClient

Switch Description

waitTime Timeout in milliseconds to wait for program end , -1 for infinity.

workDirectory program will run at Specificed directory

executename Program name want to be run

parameters Program parameters for executename

Please note there is no a \ after LDClient directory.