1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 26, 2011 10:17 AM by EMiranda

Sysprep & unattend.xml questions

Rookie

I'm deploying an image w/ Sysprep. I have made 3 changes to the stock XML file the deploy script creates:

1. I have added the /c switch to the agent deployment so that I can specify which agent I want to install
      2. I have removed the <ProductKey> line so that I will be prompted to enter a product key
      3. I have removed the <ComputerName> line so that I will be prompted to enter a name

My first change is working as the correct agent is being installed, however, the computer does not ask me for a product key or a computer name. It just assigns the generic OEM product key and a WIN-########## computer name.

Any ideas on why removing those lines from the unattend file is not working for me?

• 1. Re: Sysprep & unattend.xml questions
          EMiranda Expert

Billdozer wrote:

I'm deploying an image w/ Sysprep. I have made 3 changes to the stock XML file the deploy script creates:

1. I have added the /c switch to the agent deployment so that I can specify which agent I want to install
          2. I have removed the <ProductKey> line so that I will be prompted to enter a product key
          3. I have removed the <ComputerName> line so that I will be prompted to enter a name

My first change is working as the correct agent is being installed, however, the computer does not ask me for a product key or a computer name. It just assigns the generic OEM product key and a WIN-########## computer name.

Any ideas on why removing those lines from the unattend file is not working for me?

When sysprep processes your sysprep during boot, it takes the one from  c:\windows\panther which is a copy of an Unattend.xml that was processed  when sysprep was ran.  Im not positive if the one you are modifying is the one that sysprep is processing when it boots up.  You could try placing your modified unattend.xml somewhere, either copy into the image after its laid down or copy it from a share and place it into c:\windows\panther\unattend.xml when it boots up and see if it processes then.

I place my modified Unattend files with my drivers and move them to the c:\windows\panther\Unattend.xml at the very end of my script and that Unattend.xml always gets processed.

Here is my example in OSD that I use.

REMEXEC37=cmd /c move /y c:\drivers\hiitools\nUnattend.xml c:\windows\panther\Unattend.xml
          REMEXEC38=ldrun reboot, timeout=2

Also Note, I don't capture my image in audit mode per LANDesk BKM, so there may be a possibility that even if you do copy the modified .xml into c:\windows\panther that when it re-syspreps itself  into /oobe those values change again.  That may be something you have to test out.