8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2011 3:34 PM by theguru

Deploying Windows 7 Service Pack 1 via Landesk SD

Rookie

Hello everyone,

I've searched this board for instructions on how to deploy SP1 but didn't find anything.

Has anyone successfully deployed Win7 SP1 via Landesk Software Distribution?

I created an EXE package (\windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe) and am able to copy the file to the workstation but cannot get it to run.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Deploying Windows 7 Service Pack 1 via Landesk SD
          LANDeskWizrd SSMMVPGroup

We have been deploying it via SD without any major issues. What command line switches are you using? In our environment we use /quiet /nodialog /norestart or /quiet /nodialog /promprestart. We also had to add/create a Return Code template for SP1 because the status would show failed due to the reboot. The return code is 3010.

• 2. Re: Deploying Windows 7 Service Pack 1 via Landesk SD
            EMiranda Expert

The Wizard nailed it and here are some additional Info for you, Here are all of the switches for the package:

OptionsDescription
            /forcerestartIf a restart is required, this option forces any open applications or   documents to close.
            /nodialogSuppresses the success or failure dialog box   at the end of the installation.
            /norestartDoes not restart the computer after the   installation  is complete, even if a restart is required to complete the    installation. You should use this option in conjunction with the /quiet option.
            /promptrestartIf a restart is required, a dialog box   notifies the user that a restart is required to complete Setup. You should   use this option in conjunction with the /quiet option.
            /quietRuns the installation in quiet mode. This mode   shows  no user interface during the installation of the updates. This is the  same   as unattended mode, except that the user interface is hidden. No  prompts will   appear during the installation process except the success or failure dialog   box at the end of the installation. To suppress this dialog box, you must   also specify the /nodialog option.
            /unattendInstalls the service pack in unattended mode.   Only  critical error prompts and a progress bar will appear during the    installation. For example, Microsoft Software License Terms is not  shown, and   the computer will be automatically restarted.
            /warnrestart[:<seconds>]If a restart is required, a dialog box   notifies the  user that the computer will restart in the specified number of    seconds. The user can either cancel the restart or restart the computer    immediately. The   default setting for the automatic restart is 30  seconds.
            /wsusReturns a failure code if the previous   installation  attempt failed. This option is needed only when you are   deploying SP1  in a Windows Server Update  Services (WSUS), SMS, or System Center   Configuration Manager  environment, or in any non-Microsoft product that uses   the Windows Update Agent to report installation success.
            /? or   /helpDisplays   command usage.
            • 3. Re: Deploying Windows 7 Service Pack 1 via Landesk SD
              Rookie

Thank you for your response.

I tried it with /quiet /norestart and with no cmd line.  I did specify the 3010 return code.

Do I have to login as local administrator on the PC or can the user be logged in when I deploy?

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Deploying Windows 7 Service Pack 1 via Landesk SD
                LANDeskWizrd SSMMVPGroup

No you shouldn't need to be logged in as an admin. LANDesk will run it under the system account unless you have told it to install as current users which may give you problems.

• 5. Re: Deploying Windows 7 Service Pack 1 via Landesk SD
                  LANDeskWizrd SSMMVPGroup

Have you checked to see if maybe your AV is blocking the exe from running?

• 6. Re: Deploying Windows 7 Service Pack 1 via Landesk SD
                    Rookie

Thanks guys for the replies.

I will try it with the /unattend option (I want it to repboot after install).  I am running the package after hours so I don't mind if the status shows up on the PC.

I will disbale McAfee and see if that works.   I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks!!!

• 8. Re: Deploying Windows 7 Service Pack 1 via Landesk SD
                      Apprentice

You might try copying the file to the hard drive and testing the executable and switches manually before introducing LANDesk to the mix.

Once you get that down, you can use Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645) to watch the LANDesk job to see what its doing.

Are you using it via a batch file or simple executable package?