4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2011 6:12 AM by kevlar

Provisioning template doesn't run, ends at 40/40 retries

Rookie

Hi,

We have a problem within our organization.

Often users have problems provisioning devices. The template won't run, it will count the retries up to 40 times, and comes back with the login screen.

We've seen that when we assign the 'All Machines'  scope to this user it solves the problem. Also when we logon with our LANDesk admin account it works

However, this cannot be the solution for obvious reasons.

Is it somehow possible to perhaps create a scope for newly provisioned devices(that have sent the miniscan)? We now work with LDAP and LDMS scopes. Is it in any way related to these scopes or could there be any other problem?

PS: we use LDMS 9.0 SP2

Thanks in advance for the help.

• 1. Re: Provisioning template doesn't run, ends at 40/40 retries
          LANDeskWizrd SSMMVPGroup

It could very well be related to the scope. If you have a user who has a scope to only see computers in a specific group then he won't be able to provision a machine if it's not part of that scope. The way I understand it is that provisioning creates a task on behalf of the user and only runs on machines that user can see. One thing you can do is create an account that has a scope of "All devices" but with a role for only provisioning. That way that account can't be used to remote control or do other things to the machines. Depending on your policy, this may or may not work for you.

Where I work at we dont use provisioning for the imaging part. We use OSD to image and then have provisioning kick off automatically when the machine is in the OS. We use a service account for the provisioning part.

• 2. Re: Provisioning template doesn't run, ends at 40/40 retries
            Apprentice

Check prov_schedule.exe.log in \\core\ldmain\log, you'll find the error.

HTH

Jary Busato

• 3. Re: Provisioning template doesn't run, ends at 40/40 retries
              Apprentice

Here is the query I use to get around the issue you are describing:

"Computer"."Device ID" = "Unassigned"  OR  ("Computer"."LANDesk Management"."Agent Configuration Name" NOT EXISTS   AND  "Computer"."Device Name" <> "Core Server")

Create a new scope and create this query in it, then assign it to the people who will be provisioning (I assign it to everone who has a scope).  You do not need the part after the OR.  Depending how you do scopes you might want something else in there also.

The mini scan in WinPE sets deviceID to 'unassigned' for new devices, and the limited admin should have access to a device that is already in their scope.  You may need to modify things if machines are moving between scopes.

• 4. Re: Provisioning template doesn't run, ends at 40/40 retries
                Rookie

Thanks for your answers.

I've checked the log file, but couldn't find any strange things.

I've also created the seperate scope as suggested here above, and tried this with a user which was having problems.

This seems to work for him.

I'll try this at other users who have this problem, and I'll update the post here with our findings.