1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2008 10:45 AM by ahargreaves

Provisioning fails at configure target os with 8.8

Apprentice

Hi everybody!

We just upgraded from LDMS 8.7 SP5 to LDMS 8.8. Since then I can't convince my provisioning task to work again. It always fails at configure target os.

I tried diffrent templates and even created a whole new one. No luck so far 

The error message in the WinPE console says: 80001802H: The action-module-output is invalid. (Translated from german)

Attached you can find the ldprovision.log and my template.

I already created a case with LANDesk support but did not get any answer until now. The Case number is 00114760.

It would be great if somebody could help me out.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Provisioning fails at configure target os with 8.8
          Employee

One thing to keep in mind is you will need a reboot command after the CTOS (Configure Target OS) command. It is supposed to automatically reboot, but it doesn't. There should be a patch for that soon.

The CTOS action is supposed to copy down all the files listed in ldlogon/provisioning/win_prov_files.xml to the X:\ldprovision directory, and then move them to C:\ldprovisioning. You should also get a cmdlines.txt and a ldprovisioning.cmd file in C:\sysprep\i386\$oem$ directory. The ldprovisioning.cmd gets called during mini setup and installs CBA.

Check to see if all this is happening. My guess is that it's not...that may point us in the right direction.

• 2. Re: Provisioning fails at configure target os with 8.8
            Apprentice

Hi Maik and thanks for your reply!

I added the reboot action to my template. I had this one in before but deleted is cause I read that the CTOS action will automatically do it. Good to know that it is not right now. 

Back to the topic:

I started my task again to have a look how many changes where made through the CTOS action. Following is an output of the X:\ldprovision directory after the action has failed

Volume in drive X is WINPE

Volume Serial Number is 9CE5-620F

Directory of X:\ldprovision

03/13/2008 05:51 PM <DIR> .

03/13/2008 05:51 PM <DIR> ..

03/13/2008 05:51 PM 421,888 ldprovision.exe

03/13/2008 05:59 PM 5,489 ldProvision.log

03/13/2008 05:51 PM 2,110 ldprovision_config.windows.xml

03/13/2008 05:51 PM 503,808 ProvisionGUI.exe

03/13/2008 05:51 PM 192,512 provcomm.dll

03/13/2008 05:58 PM 294,912 ConfigTargetOSHandler.exe

03/13/2008 05:58 PM 4,597 output.txt

03/13/2008 05:58 PM 37,493 000099_4.cfg

03/13/2008 05:57 PM 52 diskpart.txt

03/13/2008 05:58 PM 97 setupinstall.header.txt

03/13/2008 05:58 PM 449 setupinstall.body.txt

03/13/2008 05:58 PM 491 setupinstall.result.xml

03/13/2008 05:58 PM 1,152 win_prov_files.xml

13 File(s) 1,465,050 bytes

2 Dir(s) 2,738,176 bytes free

As you see the provisioning files have not been copied to the location. Following in the content of the win_prov_files.xml:

<files>

<file >\ldlogon\Provisioning\Windows\ldProvision.exe</file>

<file >\ldlogon\Provisioning\Windows\prov_user.exe</file>

<file >\ldlogon\cba8inst.msi</file>

<file >\ldlogon\ldms.vroot</file>

<file >\ldlogon\rainstall.exe</file>

<file >\ldlogon\lclxsvc.dll</file>

<file >\ldlogon\libeay32.dll</file>

<file >\ldlogon\vcredist_x86.exe</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32">\ldlogon\antivirus\msvcr80.dll</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32">\ldlogon\antivirus\msvcp80.dll</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32">\ldlogon\nts.dll</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32">\ldlogon\pds.dll</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32" expanded="amslib.dll" >\ldlogon\amslib.dl_</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32" expanded="cba.dll" >\ldlogon\cba.dl_</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32" expanded="msgsys.dll" >\ldlogon\msgsys.dl_</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32" expanded="msgsys.exe" >\ldlogon\msgsys.ex_</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32\cba" precopycmd="mkdir %systemroot%\system32\cba" expanded="pds.exe" >\ldlogon\pds.ex_</file>

</files>

There is also no ldprovisioning directory on C:. The cmdlines.txt in C:\SYSPREP\i386\$oem$ is empty and there is no ldprovisioning.cmd in this folder. Take a look:

Volume in drive C has no label.

Volume Serial Number is E820-63EE

Directory of C:\

02/25/2008  02:39 AM                 0 AUTOEXEC.BAT

03/13/2008  06:03 PM                 0 cdrive.txt

02/25/2008  02:39 AM                 0 CONFIG.SYS

02/25/2008  03:08 AM    <DIR>          Dokumente und Einstellungen

02/25/2008  09:51 AM    <DIR>          INSTALL

02/25/2008  03:12 AM    <DIR>          Programme

02/25/2008  03:30 AM    <DIR>          SYSPREP

02/25/2008  03:30 AM    <DIR>          WINDOWS

3 File(s)              0 bytes

5 Dir(s)   6,795,153,408 bytes free

Volume in drive C has no label.

Volume Serial Number is E820-63EE

Directory of C:\SYSPREP\i386\$oem$

02/25/2008  03:12 AM    <DIR>          .

02/25/2008  03:12 AM    <DIR>          ..

03/13/2008  05:58 PM                 0 cmdlines.txt

1 File(s)              0 bytes

2 Dir(s)   6,795,153,408 bytes free

Do you have any more ideas? 

There is also one little thing I might add right now cause it seams to me that you are close to the LANDesk Staff:

As you see in my template I'm doing two diskpart actions consecutively. The first is to set the partition as active and the second is to mount it as c:  All is done using diskpart. When the actions run in winpe it sometimes happens that the first diskaprt to set the partition as active is successful but the second diskpart fails with error code 4. Microsoft knows about this problem in KB941773 and has a fix for this. I injected the files from this hotfix in the peboot.img using winimage and the error went away. The guys at LANDesk should think about integrating this hotfix by default cause I don't think that I'm the only one stepping into this.

Many greetings!

Valentin

• 3. Re: Provisioning fails at configure target os with 8.8
              Employee

It looks like your files are all the 8.8 files (from what I can see), so I think the upgrade went ok. I was concerned about that.

The fact that the C:\ldprovisioning folder is not there might be the problem. If it's not there, the files can't get copied and the provisioning agent won't start up in the target OS.

I thought that that folder got created as part of the CTOS process. Can you create the directory manually? Does that work? You could add an action to create the directory. That might give you a workaround until you figure out why the directory is not there.

• 5. Re: Provisioning fails at configure target os with 8.8
                bnelson Employee

OK, this is going to sound like I am mocking you, but rest assured I am not.

The script I looked at, that you posted, shows you deleted the partition on the drive but never recreated them. Is your script different than what you uploaded because it appears that the lack of partitioned hard drive space is the issue.

I have further reviewed the script and it appears to be a little all over the place. You delete the partitions and then move on to the OS installation where you map drives and deploy the image. Then you set a partition to active, but that partition doesn't exist because you deleted it and never recreated it. Then You move on to the post OS Installation where you mount the disk.

If you would like I could make some minor adjustments to this script that should help you out.

• 6. Re: Provisioning fails at configure target os with 8.8
                  bnelson Employee

I went ahead and took the liberty of reorganizing your template. I hope you don't mind.

You will need to pick your sysprep file and agent as well as ensure your user names and passwords are correct.

• 7. Re: Provisioning fails at configure target os with 8.8
                    Apprentice

I'm sitting at home at the moment so I can't have a look at the machine right now.

This whole thing is driving me nuts and I'm thinking all about it (it's 10:20pm right now).

One information I forgot to say was that this template worked mit 8.7 SP5.

@Mike

When I'm at the office tomorrow I'll try manually creating the directory.

I'll keep you updated.

@Nelson

Hi Nelson and thanks for joining into this discussion.

As you see in the template, the first step is deleting all partitions on the disk.

After mapping the network shares it deploys the image which creates a partition

automatically. The image is a syspred 10 GB image. When the image deployment is

done the partition is marked as active and after that mounted as c:. Both steps succeed.

I can even access the partition from the winpe console.

I'll try the modified template tomorrow and post what happened.

Thanks to you both and many greetings from germany!

Valentin

• 8. Re: Provisioning fails at configure target os with 8.8
                      Apprentice

Hi!

I updated my template to manually create the c:\ldprovisioning directory beforce CTOS but the same error still occurs. 

I also tried Nelsons modified template but the error is here too.

Any suggestions?

• 9. Re: Provisioning fails at configure target os with 8.8
                        Apprentice

Update:

As hargreaves wrote in his post here (http://community.landesk.com/support/message/4898#4898)

his win_prov_files.xml was missing a line. I compared his one to mine a found out that in my

win_prov_files.xml the line <file >\ldlogon\msvcr71.dll</file> was missing.

<files>

<file >\ldlogon\Provisioning\Windows\ldProvision.exe</file>

<file >\ldlogon\Provisioning\Windows\prov_user.exe</file>

<file >\ldlogon\cba8inst.msi</file>

<file >\ldlogon\ldms.vroot</file>

<file >\ldlogon\rainstall.exe</file>

<file >\ldlogon\lclxsvc.dll</file>

<file >\ldlogon\libeay32.dll</file>

<file >\ldlogon\msvcr71.dll</file>

<file >\ldlogon\vcredist_x86.exe</file>   

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32">\ldlogon\antivirus\msvcr80.dll</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32">\ldlogon\antivirus\msvcp80.dll</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32">\ldlogon\nts.dll</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32">\ldlogon\pds.dll</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32" expanded="amslib.dll" >\ldlogon\amslib.dl_</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32" expanded="cba.dll" >\ldlogon\cba.dl_</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32" expanded="msgsys.dll" >\ldlogon\msgsys.dl_</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32" expanded="msgsys.exe" >\ldlogon\msgsys.ex_</file>

<file copydir="%systemroot%\system32\cba" precopycmd="mkdir %systemroot%\system32\cba" expanded="pds.exe" >\ldlogon\pds.ex_</file>

</files>

I added this line but the problem still persists.

• 10. Re: Provisioning fails at configure target os with 8.8
                          bnelson Employee

Is there an agent installed in the image itself? That could be causing you issues if it is.

This will also sound like a mind numbing question, but I saw something in your log file that is perplexing to me. It is almost as if the PC wasn't sysprepped prior to the image being captured. Was it?

• 11. Re: Provisioning fails at configure target os with 8.8
                            Apprentice

Hi Billy,

there is no agent in the image. The image contains a 10gb partition with a windows xp sp2 and all up to date hotfixes. The image is also syspreped. This image also worked with provisioning in LDMS 8.7 SP5.

I think that either something went from while upgrading to 8.8. or there is a little bug.

Again, many thanks for you effort!

Many greetings!

Valentin

• 12. Re: Provisioning fails at configure target os with 8.8
                              Leon SupportEmployee

Since this might be caused by the upgrade, will run a 8.8 repair install on the core help?

• 13. Re: Provisioning fails at configure target os with 8.8
                                Apprentice

Do you really think that this might help? I'd really like to fix this problem by not doing a repair install.

• 14. Re: Provisioning fails at configure target os with 8.8
                                  Employee

Not sure, I have the same problem with a fresh 8.8 installation.

1 2 Previous Next