2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 9:57 AM by mrspike

Policy not working on all machines

spitzej Rookie

I'm getting reports of a policy supported push not getting to some machines as they log in (this is ver 9, SP2).  I checked one of the machines that did not get the change and the policy.sync.log reports this:

Requesting policy for {282BE4A8-7CD4-9143-9BF0-7182133387C2}, user... [this part removed]

Web request returned -1 The web request has not been made.
      Failed to send the web request to the core server.
      [STOP] Error: failed to get policies from the core server.

I've been checking around and am not coming up with a -1 error.  I checked the IIS logs on the server and don't see anything spectacular there, but was just looking for something obviously a problem.

Anyone come across in the past?

Ed

• 1. Re: Policy not working on all machines
          mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Check the services on some of the failed systems, is the LANDesk Policy Invoker Service running?

We are seeing a number of systems where it is not and when we restart it, it will fail out.

I have found that running this script (create a Manage Script) works in most cases:

[MACHINES]
          REMEXEC1=<qt/>%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\policy.client.invoker.exe<qt/> /register
          REMEXEC2=<qt/>%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\LDISCN32.EXE<qt/> /NTT=%server%:5007 /S="%server%" /I=HTTP://%server%/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /NOUI /NOCD
          REMEXEC3=<qt/>%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\policy.client.invoker.exe<qt/> /start
          REMEXEC4=<qt/>%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\LDISCN32.EXE<qt/> /NTT=%server%:5007 /S="%server%" /I=HTTP://%server%/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /F /SYNC /NOUI /NOCD

The first instance of the inventory scanner being called was added as cheating way to "wait" or pause for a bit as I found that the service would try to start too soon after registering the service in line one.   The second instance is to update the inventory.

Create a query looking for the status of this service by looking under OS > Drivers and Services > Services, run this on systems where it is stopped

If you are using LD9 you can use the attached query to find affected systems

• 2. Re: Policy not working on all machines
            mrspike SSMMVPGroup

An update on this....

While this script helps in many cases, some of our Techs are saying they are finding the service is still stopping on many clients, even after the script has been run on it.

LANDesk has since released the "0428" patch for SD and the readme for it list this issue as fixed in it.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-22561