1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2008 12:51 AM by sabino

uninstalling apps

Apprentice

I'm trying to figure out how to set up a distribution package to uninstall an application (Counterspy v2). However, since the app doesn't have a handy uninstall shortcut, and the installer is an exe, I'm at a bit of a loss. I did find the uninstallstring in the registry on one computer, but of course it's different on all of them. Anyone have any tips?

• 1. Re: uninstalling apps
          Employee

Run the installer with a /? to see if it gives you the uninstall switch.

You could also check if the .exe is really just a wrapper for an MSI. If so, you could just use the MSI for installing and uninstalling.

The uninstall string for that particular application should be exactly the same, as long as it's the same version. That should work for you.

• 2. Re: uninstalling apps
            Apprentice

Yeah, no uninstall switch. How do I find out if the exe is a wrapper for an msi? (probably a stupid question). I'll double check that string. Unfortunately (and this is part of why it goes byebye) Counterspy likes updating itself to different versions.

• 3. Re: uninstalling apps
              zman Master

Search under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall  key for the uninstaller.  Usually the uninstaller is listed here (it may not be listed in ARP) in the UninstallString key. You can use the line as a starting point.  Also, search the SunBelt KB

• 4. Re: uninstalling apps
                Apprentice

Jan Buelens wrote an utility called lduninst to uninstall everything (most) silently. it reads from registry and add silent param (to msi, exe, wise, installshiedl) etc.

Give that a go - I have used it a couple of times...

Cheers Kerrie

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: uninstalling apps
                  Apprentice

That is awesome. I'll have to give it a shot, but it sounds perfect. The only thing is that I have to get it on the computers first. Shouldn't be an issue...

• 6. Re: uninstalling apps
                    Apprentice

Here is a sample script i have used in the past.

I couldn't get the script to look right so i attached it.

Cheers

Kerrie

• 7. Re: uninstalling apps
                      Apprentice

So if I'm following that correctly, you first install LDUninst.exe, then run it against the app. My only issue is that counterspy requires a reboot, and this app goes ahead and does it. I emailed Jan (I know, it's 4 years old...) to see if he had any thoughts on how to prevent that.

• 8. Re: uninstalling apps
                        Apprentice

No you don't have to install it at all - you just use it in running the uninstall of the program against it.

Now remember that it doesn't work for some programs - Do a Test first.

If you ask the people to leave there machines on over night, you could run this at night with eliminates the worry about the reboot of there machienes. Just a thought for you.

Cheers

Kerrie

• 9. Re: uninstalling apps
                          zman Master

You could:

1. Search HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall for Sunbelt

2. Note key name mine was  {7136FE70-D1A9-42A5-9BBD-87C440701D9F} for consumer.

3. Run msiexec /qn /x {7136FE70-D1A9-42A5-9BBD-87C440701D9F}

Add logging no reboot switches etc.... Works in my test like a charm.

• 10. Re: uninstalling apps
                            Apprentice

I have only every used that once, for a program that didn't support a slient install/uninstall, which made it hard to use.

I think the benefit of LDUNINST.exe is that you can use Wildcards for programs that may have different version or names etc.

• 11. Re: uninstalling apps
                              zman Master

Just offering alternatives. I have tested the above on a CounterSpy V2 installation and it works. I personally think this is easier and more predictable (wildcards could = Russian Roulette). Plus if you have an issue with the uninstall and go to the vendor, I think they will be more willing to accept an industry standard MSI uninstall string rather that Jan's utility.  No disrespect to Jan his stuff is cool.  Plus you have more options - all the MSIEXEC command line options - especially log files. Can't really troubleshoot without the ye olde log files.

• 12. Re: uninstalling apps
                                Apprentice

In some ways, I agree. But I have at least 4 versions of v2 out there (because of the automatic updates) and they all have different uninstall strings. I have the ones for 2.1.x and 2.1.y, but neither of the 2.5.z versions. I certainly wouldn't use the wildcard feature. We'll see if I hear anything back from Jan.

• 13. Re: uninstalling apps
                                  mrspike SSMMVPGroup

You could run a script with all of the known uninstall strings in it.  I created one to uninstall older versions of Java, as an example here it is:

(please ignore the somewhat random number after the REMEXEC code, I had at fist included other flavors of Java but seperated them)

;REM 1.4.2

REMEXEC30=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142000} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

;REM 1.4.2_01

REMEXEC31=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142010} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

;REM 1.4.2_02

REMEXEC32=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142020} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

;REM 1.4.2_03

REMEXEC33=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142030} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

;REM 1.4.2_04

REMEXEC34=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142040} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

;REM 1.4.2_05

REMEXEC34=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142050} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

;REM 1.4.2_06

REMEXEC1=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142060} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

;REM 1.4.2_07

REMEXEC35=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142070} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

;REM 1.4.2_08

REMEXEC36=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142080} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

;REM 1.4.2_09

REMEXEC37=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142090} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

;REM 1.4.2_10

REMEXEC2=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142100} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

;REM 1.4.2_11

REMEXEC42=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142110} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

;REM 1.4.2_12

REMEXEC3=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142120} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

;REM 1.4.2_13

REMEXEC4=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142130} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

;REM 1.4.2_14

REMEXEC5=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142140} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

;REM 1.4.2_15

REMEXEC22=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142150} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

;REM 1.4.2_16

REMEXEC23=MsiExec.exe /X{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142160} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

• 14. Re: uninstalling apps
                                    Apprentice

I think I'll probably do that, as soon as I have exemplar strings from 2.5.1040.0 and 2.5.1032.0. Assuming I get the go ahead from the boss to kill this thing.

1 2 Previous Next