8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2008 9:20 PM by Leon

Could not Resolve Core Server Name

Rookie

Hello:

I've pushed the PXE REP to a designated computer, which gets the IP Address

from the DHCP. The PXE deployed successfully to the computer. However, when I

try to launch the WINPE Menu on a laptop, that needs to be imaged. The WINPE

goes through the motion and gets an IP Address but keeps saying the following

in the command prompt "resolving core server name...could not resolve core

server name."

• 1. Re: Image loaded on some machines but not others
          Employee

Even though they are the same model, the hardware revisions can be slightly different. My guess is you might not be detecting the disk drive. Type these commands:

diskpart

list disk

If there is not disk present, you don't have the right storage controller driver.

Do you have different PXE reps? Is it possible another PXE rep is responding to the other machines?

• 2. Re: Image loaded on some machines but not others
            Rookie

Hello IronMike:

Yes, the disk is present for all three laptops (all three 28GB) and  there's only one PXE rep but is there a way, I can find out if another exist?

Thanks,

• 3. Re: Image loaded on some machines but not others
              Employee

Sure, first look in the Network View, Configuration, PXE Representatives. This is usually sufficient.

If you really want to be sure, just stop the two LANDesk PXE services on the PXE rep, then PXE boot your machine again. If it really is the only PXE rep, you won't get the boot options.

• 4. Re: Image loaded on some machines but not others
                Expert

Couple of thoughts, make sure there is only one miniscan entry for each MAC address, have seen where there will be 2 enties but only 1 has an IP address, also check the error code or manually launch the imaging tool from the PXE session and see what error it gives.

• 5. Re: Image loaded on some machines but not others
                  Leon SupportEmployee

You may attach the custom job log for the imaging task which locates at \ldlog share on the core. So we can see where the task stopped.

• 6. Re: Image loaded on some machines but not others
                    phoffmann SupportEmployee

Go into the BIOS of the IBM laptop you cannot put the image on.

On the IDE/SATA controller's settings you should have an option to go either native or "legacy" ... use "legacy" or "compatibility" mode - that way your SATA controller can be accessed under DOS without problems and under WinPE without having loaded the specific controller's driver.

Usually this is the problem in these kinds of situations.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 7. Could not resolve core server name
                      Rookie

Hello:

I've pushed the PXE REP to  a designated computer, which gets the IP Address from the DHCP. The PXE deployed successfully to the computer. However, when I try to  launch the WINPE Menu on a laptop, that needs to be imaged. The WINPE goes through the motion and gets an IP Address but keeps saying the following in the command prompt "resolving core server name...could not resolve core server name."

• 8. Re: Could not resolve core server name
                        Leon SupportEmployee

In the WinPE image, under \i386\system32 directory, there is one file called all.reg. Extract it via Winimage tool, if it's not correct, change it and drag back into the image file, save. You may re-deploy PXE rep if you make the change on the core.

Also under WinPE make sure you can ping the correct core name successfully.