4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 4:30 AM by paramaguru

Profile Migration in provisioning LANDesk 9.0 SP2 using USMT4.01 Tool

Apprentice

Hi All,

I am using USMT 4.01 tool to do the profile migration in LANDesk 9.0 SP2 using provisioning template, Here the thing is I can able to save the captured profile inside of local drive example: C:\LOCALSTORE folder where else I can not able to store it in networkshare.

Note: When I am doing Manually running the Scanstate.exe in command prompt in client machine, it's saving inside of network share, when I am doing using provisioning template its not saving in network share whereelse I can able to save the captured profile in localdrive if I give the saving path as "C:\LOCALSTORE" in the commandline parameters.

Below are the actions I have given in the provisioning template:-

Action Name: Map Drive

N/w share path: \\ipaddress\sharedfolder

Drive letter: I

credentials: coreserveripaddress\username

password:***********

Action Name: Download file

Sourcepath and file name: http://coreservername/ldlogon/UMA/USMT.ZIP

Destination path: C:\

Action Name:Unzip file

Sourcepath and file name: C:\USMT.ZIP

Destination path: C:\USMT

Action Name:Execute file

Execute path and file name: C:\USMT\ScanState.exe

Commandline parameters

/i:MigUser.xml /i:MigApp.xml I:\Temp /o /c /nocompress /Hardlink

Working directory

C:\USMT

Can anyone help me to copy the Captured profile inside of network share path or directly save it in network share path when we are capturing the profile itself, when I am doing the profile migration using USMT4.01 Tool.

Thanks and Regards,

Paramaguru

• 1. Re: Profile Migration in provisioning LANDesk 9.0 SP2 using USMT4.01 Tool
          Apprentice

Does the account you're using to map the i: drive have write access to that share?  I've done something similar in the past, although I think how I did it was to save the profile to a local folder and then use a copy file action to move it to the profile repository - seemed to be quicker that way.

Steve

• 2. Re: Profile Migration in provisioning LANDesk 9.0 SP2 using USMT4.01 Tool
            Apprentice

Hi Steve,

I can able to capture the profile and save it locally using USMT4.01. Here the thing is now I want to save the captured profile directly into Network shared path in the name of machine name. can you please help me how to get this?

scanstate.exe /i:MigUser.xml /i:MigApp.xml /i:MigDocs.xml C:\test /o /c /nocompress /Hardlink

If I give captured profile save path as network shared path instead of C:\test in above mentioned command its not saving. even before executing that above mentioned command we have mapped the network shard path to one drive letter and we were using that driver letter in the command like

scanstate.exe /i:MigUser.xml /i:MigApp.xml /i:MigDocs.xml W:\test /o /c /nocompress /Hardlink

Can you help me in this

Thanks,

Paramaguru

• 3. Re: Profile Migration in provisioning LANDesk 9.0 SP2 using USMT4.01 Tool
              Apprentice

I think in the past all I did was use a create foldoer action to create a folder in the network location where you are storing profiles and using %ldHostname% (or equivilent provisioning variable) as the folder name.  Then copy the stored profile from the temp local folder to the network location.  I'm not sure why but I seem to remember there being a reason that I didn't save directly to the network - perhaps it was just taking too long!

Steve

• 4. Re: Profile Migration in provisioning LANDesk 9.0 SP2 using USMT4.01 Tool
                Apprentice

Here is the example and disadvantage for locally saving the captured profile

User Hard disk space=80GB

All users profiles size is =70GB

Now the free space in Hardisk is only 10 GB

tell me now How can I save the captured 70GB size profile in to temp folder which is in local drive which I have only 10gb free space, Thats why we are trying directly save the captured profile into network shard path.

Note:

Very often if I run the scanstate.exe from any domain user. it's capturing that particular domain user profile only and save it in local drive whereelse its not capturing the entire profiles whatever available inside of Documents and settings. why its doing like? can you help me in this regards also.

Command Line

Scanstate.exe /i:MigUser.xml /i:MigApp.xml /i:MigDocs.xml C:\Test /o /c /nocompress /Hardlink

I was executing the above mentioned command line from one of the domain user,often its not capturing all the profiles its capturing the particular profile where we are executing the scanstate.exe. if I run the same command line from local administrator account, its capturing each and every profiles and save it in local drive folder.

Can you please help us in this...

Thanks,

Paramaguru