13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2013 8:05 AM by smittman

Add WinPE Custom Disk to the PXE F8 Menu

Apprentice

Is there an easy way to add a WinPE Custom Disk to the F8 PXE Menu?  I have read the following F8Menu.docx document, but it only explains how to create a local boot.  I can't seem to figure this one out.  I can copy the existing WinPE to my custom PXE boot menu option, but how do I get that PXE boot menu option to point to my custom.wim file?

• 1. Re: Add WinPE Custom Disk to the PXE F8 Menu
          ahe Expert

Hello,

I'm not sure, what you mean with "custom disk", but you can add a additional WinPE entry in the same way as described in the doc. (which LD version and WinPE version you use?)

In Step 4 you write in "Boot File Base Name" "startrom"

A directory "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\x86pc\undi\newboot" will be created. Normally you need some files in the directory, dependent of your WinPE version.

For WinPE 2.x/3.x (LD 9) (you should find the files on core)

bootmgr.exe

startrom.0

for WinPE 1.x (LD 8.x)

ntdetect.com

ntldr

startrom.0

winnt.sif

WinPE 1.x:

The file peboot.img must be stored here: "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images"

WinPE 2.x/3.x:

The files boot.wim, BCD, boot.sdi must be stored here: "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\boot"

Regards

Axel

• 2. Re: Add WinPE Custom Disk to the PXE F8 Menu
            Apprentice

I guess I am confused.  I have bootable usb drive that boots into WinPE and runs some diagnostics programs.  This is build off of PE3.  I am running LDMS 9 SP2.  The files I have on the USB drive are SETUPLDR.BIN and PE3.WIM.  There are others, but I don't believe they are needed to boot. I guess my confusion comes from not knowing where to place these files, and whether or not I need the BOOTMGR.EXE and STARTROM.0 files that are currently in my 'NEWBOOT' folder? Wouldn't the BOOTMGR and STARTROM just point back to the BOOT.WIM file that is under the "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\boot" folder?  How do I get it to point to my PE3.WIM file?

• 3. Re: Add WinPE Custom Disk to the PXE F8 Menu
              Apprentice

I guess what I need is a way to modify the 'Boot File Base Directory', which is greyed out in STEP 4.  

• 4. Re: Add WinPE Custom Disk to the PXE F8 Menu
                ahe Expert

In the BCD file a hardcoded path and several other boot stuff is integrated to the boot.wim file.

So you've to change you BCD file.

This can be made with MS tool bcdedit or with more functionalities with EasyBCD http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/EasyBCD+Basics

Here you can find some hints, how to create a new bootloader with bcdedit:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2676-bcdedit-how-use.html

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709667%28WS.10%29.aspx

I haven't done it 'til now, but I'm thinking about adding a additional wim file too.

here is a example (sorry in german) how to choose between a 64 bit and 32 bit wim file http://www.rrzn.uni-hannover.de/anl-waikpxe.html

Regards

Axel

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Add WinPE Custom Disk to the PXE F8 Menu
                  Apprentice

So, if I modify the BCD file then I will still have to choose to boot to Managed WinPE, correct, and then from there be able to choose what wim file to load?  How about just adding another entry to the F8 menu that launches the correct .wim file?  is this even possible?  I can add the entry to the menu, but cannot figure out how to get it to load my custom wim file.  Is there something in the Startrom.0 file that kicks this off?  Can I modify it?

• 6. Re: Add WinPE Custom Disk to the PXE F8 Menu
                    ahe Expert

Hello Scott,

in LD version 9/WinPE 2.x, we've no longer the configuration file winnt.sif, where the image name is placed and some starting parameters.

If you take a look in the directories ...x86pc\undi\winpe and x86pc\undi\winpemenu there exist the same files now, the bootmgr.exe and the startrom.0.

All files are identical.

The whole configuration will be made by BCD.

With the following command line you can see the entries:

bcdedit /store "path to your bcd file" /enum ALL

Regards

Axel

• 7. Re: Add WinPE Custom Disk to the PXE F8 Menu
                      Apprentice

Guess I still don't get this.  (I know it's been a year, but I still haven't been able to figure this out).  I jsut want to be able to add to the F8 Menu.  I want another option to boot into a BartsPE, so that a PC Tech has an option to run System Tools, or manually run Ghost and load an image.  How does one go about doing this?  I would think this would occur before the BCD is read?  Currently my F8 menu looks like this:

--> Local Boot

Managed WinPE

WinPE Menu

WinPE Provisioning

I want to add another entry for BartsPE. 

• 8. Re: Add WinPE Custom Disk to the PXE F8 Menu
                        ahe Expert

Hello Scott,

I made additional entries in the past and I know I've documented this, but I can't find it. Additionally there was a documentation on droppedpackets.org, but it seems they deleted this...

So I searched a bit in my older documents and it seems I found a description from a LANDesk guy... :-)

Regards

Axel

• 9. Re: Add WinPE Custom Disk to the PXE F8 Menu
                          Apprentice

Thanks for the information. 

I want to take a BartsPE cd and place it on the PXE, so would I copy all of the BartsPE files to the NEWBOOT.1 image file?  

• 10. Re: Add WinPE Custom Disk to the PXE F8 Menu
                            ahe Expert

Take a look here: http://www.droppedpackets.org/systemmanagement/ldms/osd/landesk-8-8-osd-with-winpe-2-1/

In the file ldpe21_0sd.zip which can be downloaded from there, you will find a description, how to create a WinPE 2.1 boot image.

I think the doing for PE is similar (the copy to the PXE)...

The whole description about integration and usage BartPE is deleted from droppedpackets.org :-(

• 11. Re: Add WinPE Custom Disk to the PXE F8 Menu
                              Apprentice

I guess I just don't get it.  I'm running LDMS 9 SP3 with WinPE v3.0 from the PXE Boot.  This boots up differently than the documents states.  I have two seperate boot cd's that the PC Techs use, and I just want to add these to the F8 Menu.  It seems like it shouldn't be that hard.  I tried to modify the BCD that the PXE uses and have multiple boot options, but it failed.  Guess I'll do some more reading. 

• 12. Re: Add WinPE Custom Disk to the PXE F8 Menu
                                rdittman Apprentice

Smittman- Did you ever find any updated documentation or get this working?

• 13. Re: Add WinPE Custom Disk to the PXE F8 Menu
                                  Apprentice

No.  I have since upgraded to 9.5 and was hoping it would make it easier, but it hasn't changed.  I played around with it a bit, and could get another entry on the PXE F8 menu, but nothing that I could boot from. Heck at this point it would be nice just to shell to DOS and have mapped drives to a file share.